Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Euri
I having a carving party next week and had a friend approached me and asked about left handed carving. :o She hasn't ever carved a pumpkin before and I gotta get her hooked.

I am very right handed so I am wondering if anyone here is a lefty and if it afftects how to approach carving. Aren't carving tools ambidextrous? I told her that I thought that it was just like normal, but our normals are different.

Any thoughts would be cool.
By 2manyferrets
Im not sure how being left handed would effect pumpkin carving????

The tools are the same, but I carve from right to left instead of left to right so I don't put pressure on the parts that I have already cut out....
By GUS
I may or may not be left handed (as currently i'm carving right handed after my injury! ...so to throw personal experience into the pot , but in reverse NO difference othe than an alien feeling if you are purposely swapping hands (which she won't)

..overall a bit of a daft one that, a bt like asking if a mug (tea / coffee vestibule) is ok for left handers only! :lol: :roll:
By Euri
Yeah, you could say daft! :lol: I thought that myself but I didn't tell her that.

Of course I could have some fun with this... you know, tell her that she has to turn the pattern face down on the pumpkin and hold the saw with the blade inwards as she cuts. :P :wink:

Mwahahaha, she may never trust me again.
By GUS
..I wouldn't do that, (& believe me I usually load the joke gun & then pull the damn trigger myself (can't resist)) ...nah just get er going & bask in the knowledge of a job well done!
By Euri
Oh, if I had decided to try that on her I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face long enough for her to believe me. :lol: Besides, we banter alot so she would be expecting me to try to pull one. I'm already mentally filing her likes to pick the perfect hooked-on-carving pattern. 8)

Thanks GUS.