Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By MotownGuy
I read the directions that said to cut all the way through the pumpkin using the stencil. But I've also seen some talk about shading. If I don't to any "shading", will my pumpkin look amateur? Am I missing something, or is this really as easy as it seems with the use of the stencils and just cutting out the pieces?
By mesmark
I don't know of any pattern that requires shading on this site. Probably what you've read is people talking about non-Zombie patterns or personal patterns posted by forum users.

Like Dadja said just transfer your stencil and hack away!

is this really as easy as it seems with the use of the stencils and just cutting out the pieces?

It is easier than it seems and Ryan will make you look like a pro. I can do the most intricate pumpkins in about an hour with just a saw from the local hardware store and this will be my third year of stencil carving. I started back in 2 ZP.

Happy carving!
By Jessi
These stencils are unbelievably easy yet look super difficult and professional when completed. This is my 3rd year using them.

I've never tried the "shading" or carving away the skin of a pumpkin before, but I have seen the patterns and designs for them. It looks difficult and time consuming. I don't really think it makes one's carving look more "professional." I guess it's a matter of personal taste, but I like the ZP style better.

Good luck!
By sodajazz
i tried a shading pattern shame thought it looked awful ryans patterns are so straight forward :D
my babies are 8yrs and 14yrs and have been carving these stencils for 3 years now..... say no more :D
Am I missing something, or is this really as easy as it seems with the use of the stencils and just cutting out the pieces?
NO :!:, YES :!:
By Flak
How does one shade a pumpkin anyways?
By GeologySage
It's more difficult with a dremel on a fake pumpkin lol.
By Wedge
Pumpkin master has a saw about the size of a pencil that has a scraper on the other end. Shading makes a mess but there are some patterns that it really works on. I did the hanibal face last year and shaded the mask and carved out the rest. It looked really good.
By MotownGuy
Just a quick follow up. Did 3 pumpkins (well, I did one and my GF's two girls did the others) and they turned out great. My pumpkin - Napoleon Dynamite - placed 3rd in the pumpkin carving contest. Not bad for my first try!! Thanks!!!