Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
I have my real pumpkins outside, on a rug like a good little pumpkin girl should, but it's supposed to dip down to 38 tomorrow night here, are my babies ok? They haven't been carved yet, waiting till the week of Halloween, but I just wanted to make sure.
By GUS
DIP DOWN TO 38!!!!!!! ...TOO HOT, TOO HOT!
By Sind3315
fahrenheit silly... :lol: That's 3.33 degrees C to you. :P
By matspud
As long as it doesn't do below freezing you should be OK. Maybe cover them with another blanket though. Ideally put them in a shed or garage.
By Sind3315
I'll wrap them up in a blanket just to be sure then... No shed or garage as I live in an apartment... Awww, my pumpkins will be all cozy in their blanket...
By shutterbug
...was -2(29) here last night...solid frost...
By SaneInsideInsanity
-5C...my pupmkins are in my basement wrapped in blankets to keep it dark
By Patti
As long as they don't freeze solid they'll be fine. In fact cooler temps are better for keeping them fresh.

It was warm here for a couple of weeks and a few of my pumpkins have developed soft spots. We're now getting daytime highs in the low 60's and nighttime lows in the 40's. I'd be a little happier if were about 5-10 deg F cooler but I can't control the weather.
By Joey
Pfffft to your 60 highs! We're still getting highs in the 90s here! I keep my pumpkins indoors for that reason, it's cooler in here then it is outside.
By matspud
Yeh coolers better but too cold's bad. I must admit I like it to be cool and damp after I have carved them that way they can be left out and not dry out.
By Patti
90 degree highs? Well that's not even Halloween-e. No woodsmoke smell from fireplaces, no shivering little trick-or-treaters, no need for hot spiced cider, no crunchy grass or scraping windshields.

I've already tossed one pumpkin and will probably lose a few more before Halloween. How do you stop yours from becoming slimy balls of pumpkin goo once they're carved and displayed?
By Joey
We do get that woodburning smell, but it's usually from all the brushfires as soon as it gets windy. California really sucks like that.

I'm gonna try some pumpkin fresh as soon as I actually carve one, but I usually just resign myself to the inevitable icky goo phase and take lots of pictures.
By OogieBoogie
My mom used to make our costumes when I was little, and she always made them bigger just in case we got a last minute snowfall and had to wear our snowpants under our costumes. :x
By Raven
OogieBoogie wrote:My mom used to make our costumes when I was little, and she always made them bigger just in case we got a last minute snowfall and had to wear our snowpants under our costumes. :x
I always had those plastic costumes with the mask you could not see or breath out of. My mom always wanted me to wear my coat, over the costume. I remember throwing a fit because no one could see the costume if I was wearing my coat.
By SaneInsideInsanity
OogieBoogie wrote:My mom used to make our costumes when I was little, and she always made them bigger just in case we got a last minute snowfall and had to wear our snowpants under our costumes. :x
my mom did the same thing...only even if it didn;t snow she made us wear the snowsuit...i still remember the year i was the fat april from nija turtles....goes and cries....why didn;t i pick stay pufft