Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Lithium_joe
http://public.fotki.com/CliveOstrich/fu ... erimentsi/

I've updated the full gallery.

Two pictures of the mould: there's not much of it but's it's beginning now to develop but with no overall impact on the structure.

The interior shows the most dramatic change: some areas have started to liquify but the pattern is sporadic, suggesting the coat of varnish was not even or that the removal of flesh from the pumpkin at gutting also was not even. It also has developed that distinct smell of rotting pumpkin.

Presumtpive conclusion:

The varnish has retarded but not eliminated decomposition by 5 days.
The process, though now visibly underway has not caused the superstructure to fail as the WD-40 did, however the process of growth will be exponential so the end will come swifter than it started.

I think based on this test I will definitely try pre-treating pumpkins with water and bleach to try to eliminate any bacteria that may be present during carving before varnishing.

I did not use a control pumpkin so it is not clear if these methods extend the natural rate of decay. but it is clear that the varnish out performed the WD-40.
By Lithium_joe
Day 6.

I'm declaring Pumpkin 2 dead.

Photos in a moment.

Overnight, and as I predicted, the mould growth has gone into overdrive.
Whilst the structure of pumpkin 2 has not failed as happened with pumpkin 1, the rate and extent of mould growth has led me to conclude that frankly it's no longer safe to use. I would not feel comfortable placing this pumpkin over a candle or lamp to be enjoyed with this level of decay.

Mould colonies have become established overnight.

Mould colonies around the rim of the pumpkin and the brow of the design have grown and become furry.

The mould is starting to distort weaker areas of the carving - note how the eye is now bent outwards.
By nosferatu
I notice on the BBC website that you have won the Nobel Prize for Pumpkin Experimentation. With the £300,000 prize, you'll be able to spend half on pumpkins and the other half on watermelons (for carving purposes only).