Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Batgirl
I have a question for you fine folks:

When you're choosing the AWESOME patterns from this site to carve every year, do you typically go with a theme or just whatever you like?

I find that I usually go with a theme. For example, last year all my pumpkins had to do with zombies. It also went with the zombie "7-corpse meal" dinner that I hosted.

But how do y'all choose which ones you're going to do??
By Pumpkin Hunter
I pick a theme and go with the appropriate patterns. Then there is always the pumpkin that I carve for my daughter. She has had Tigger and Mummble so far. This year she wants Shrek, which is handy as it will fit in with my movie theme party. The party might never happen though, but at least she will be dressed as Princess Fiona with a shrek pumpkin. As for how I pick a theme, that is easy, it usually revolves around Pirates or Zombies. I want to dress as Shaun this year so the party will be movie themed so I can do what I want.
By Tkaraoke
I haven't done a theme display because when a "must carve" pattern comes out, it throws a monkey wrench into the plan! LOL

So far I have my first TWO Zombie patterns picked out for this year. The first (and classic) is "Eye Of The Beholder" and the soon to be classic "Roswell Alien". Ever since I saw the picture of the watermelon Kittie carved I've been dying to get my hands on that one.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I tend to mostly carve patterns from my "Unique Creations" section. Since those are the design from my own imagination, they're the ones I'm most proud to show off.

Of course, having a couple famous characters mixed into the display will help get a few more "ooohs" from your audience, especially if that audience is young trick-or-treaters. I try to do at least one pattern from the "Movie Monsters" category and one of the "Kreatures for Kids."

And as far as theme, I'll usually carve any patterns I have that will go along with my costume. For example, last year I dressed as the Mad Hatter, so I carved the Cheshire Cat and Mad Hatter, naturally.
By Thunderclap
I carve whatever I think is awesome for the year. I like to get a mix of different patterns. It keeps the display more interesting.
By brittney867
i choose the patterns i like and that are different. (even though my carvings looks different from the pattern... at least i tried.)
By SaneInsideInsanity
I normaqlly do a theme but with the discovry of zp my plans have been ruined...now i need to buy more pumpkins
By Joey
I'm not the fastest carver in the patch and I end up solo carving more often then not, so I usually only get 3 or 4 out the night of, especially if I don't get the 30th off. So I end up just carving the coolest patterns I can find, though this year I have a disney theme planned!
By nosferatu
I'm just devastated that I won't be able to carve all 200 (estimated number by Halloween including bonuses). Eventually some one will do that - funkins excluded, the real deal - and I can't wait for that day.

This year's additions have so far been stunning. Obviously there is the David Bowie stencil to come so I'll do that one.(Only joking)

I only have 11 pumpkins and might do a random lottery type selection. The only difference is I would have a winning ticket every time because all the patterns are that damn good. Therein lies the difficulty, who do you pick and who (literally) doesn't make the cut.

The decision is a hard one. It's like being a judge on Pumpkin Idol except you actually know what you are talking about.
By ZPjames
I sorta have a theme this year. I'm doing couples: So far I plan on Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett, Jack Skellington, Sally and Zero, and then I have one lone pumpkin that I plan to make the Joker. If I get another, I'll make Batman as well. I also have a foam Patrick that I already made.
By CombichristGirl
random right now. might do a theme some time but i like to have a few different patterns. that way everyone can find a pumpkin they like :)
By Chewy
My process is semi-random... I go through my big binder with each pattern in it's own page protector in alphabetical order (sad but truse and pick out the ones I wouldnt mind carving. Then I give them to my daughter and ask her to pick enough to cover the quantity of pumpkins we have...

A theme sounds like a great idea though. Unfortunately, unless I want to go with a Princess theme, it might be a few years away for me!
By Lithium_joe
Possibly a bit anal, but I went a measured my pumpkin dimensions for height and width to get a feel for which designs I'll need to scale fit.

I purposively bought as large pumpkins as I could find this year (as well as wide and tall) but it's just a truth that none are large enough to take fully the A4 design as printed.

So I'm going to try and match the pumpkin to the pattern using the scanner.

I'm definitely going to do my modified versions of The Joker and Lord Voldemort, I'm also so impressed with E.T, Lost Boys - David and Hellraiser - Pinhead that they are all on my list. I'm eyeing a Jack Skellington / Sally pattern, Freddy Kruger from last year who went uncarved as well as a pumpkin patch scarecrow design - and of course: Vote Obama!

I know I'm in the UK and technically don't have a vote on the leader of the free world, but I'm declaring an interest nonetheless!
By Raven
I was going to go with a Johnny Depp theme, but that plan is already gone. I just pick what I like and feel I must do. I usually pick something for my little nephews and niece and bring one to them on Halloween. This year a friend requested a Jack Skellington pattern, so I will carve him for her.