Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Lithium_joe
I'm trying the water and bleach method, which seems to be working.

I use iron wool to scrub the worst of anything from the outside and a modellers knife to remove anything stubborn and cut it out like the eye of a potato..
By Kittie
Pumpkin Head wrote:Does anyone have any advice on how to revive a pumpkin after it's started to mold? I carved my pumpkins on Sunday night and made sure to keep them in the garage, where it is cool, but when I checked them this morning, they were a little on the furry side. :(
Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated!
always spray them with a bleach water mixture after carving to prevent mold. About 30% bleach or so.
By Pumpkin Head
Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, for my pumpkins, my newly acquired knowledge about preservation came too late. I arrived home from work to find 3 of my 4 pumpkins very hairy & soft. I had no choice but to trash my Eric Draven, Jack Skellington (with hands) & my GF's Chesire Cat. :cry: Only Michael Myers made it.

So, here I am, the day of Halloween, calling in sick to work so I can go find some last minute pumpkins that are worthy enough to carve. :(

Wish me luck. :oops:
By matspud
I think the mild waether over here this year isn't too good ofr my pumpkins. In the past I have been able to keep them for 2-3 weeks outside if there isn't any frost but this year I had to throw away Howl o een last night and a couple of others I carved at the weekend aren't going to make tomorrow ( when we are having a party). Even with the water revive method they are going really mushy in places. The worst thing was I carved Davey Jones on wednesday afternoon and he was already badly distorted by last night when I finally managed to get a photo :cry: I still have plenty of un-gutted pumpkins left thankfully but will have to be really nice to hubby to get them gutted tonight. Question is am I desperate enough to be nice to him :D :D
By Tkaraoke
I had a hard time keeping my jacks alive as well this year. Last year they lasted like a week before finally giving out but these ones are dropping like flies. I had to throw away three of them already and the ones that are left are heading for the trash ASAP.
By rosesrunred
i had brought some small pumpkins and they all got rotten,
as for perserving the pumpkin, i tried alot of methods for me if i see the pattern shiverling, i soak the pumpkin in a bathtub for one hour.
it works really well for me.
By Dr. Frybrain
I posted to a few of the other related threads, so please forgive the overposting.

When you coat the pumpkin with a petroleum product, WD-40, Vaseline, etc., you are sealing in the moisture that decay bacterial thrive on. The Egyptians figured this out centuries ago, which is why their mummies were dryed-out, not sealed-up.

Bleach and Pumpkin Fresh only work as a topical fungicide. (If you like Pumpkin Fresh, our Anti-aging Spray does the exact same thing for an eighth of the price per ounce.)

We also have Pumpkin Embalmer, which works like the old Pumpkin Dunk'N, by drawing out the moisture without shriveling, and increases the pH, which retards the growth of decay.

You can see a side by side comparison at http://www.drfrybrain.com
By Lithium_joe
Start shipping outside the U.S and I'd consider it. ;)