Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By ArtOfLosingMFZB
I am going to a traditional every year pumpkin carving party tomorrow. The problem is that it's a week before Halloween. Anyone have any tips on keeping jack-o-lanterns fresh up until the big night?
By stormqueen29
Keep them cold. Refrigerate if you can. Spray lightly with Lysol on all the cut surfaces to minimize mold, which will ruin them quickly.

You can also coat all cut surfaces with a thin layer of petroleum jelly to help keep them fresh.

If they shrivel before the big night, but haven't yet molded, soak them for a few hours in a big tub of cool water, or the bathtub, to revive them.

There are also a number of pumpkin preservatives available online, just do a search for them. I've never tried any yet, but they are supposed to work really well. Of course, having to order them then wait isn't going to do you much good at this point.

I've often wondered if just using a strong salt water solution to "pickle" them wouldn't work. Maybe one of these days I'll try it and see.

Best of Luck!

gale
By adam
As Stormqueen29 said, petroleum will work pretty well. It's hard to use it on areas that are really thin..you have to be careful not to break em. I reccommed that you coat the entire inside with the petroleum first before you carve it, especially if you are using a stencil that comes out thin. Oh and don't forget to wear a latex glove when you do it...its a pain to get off. Than spray them with cold ice water in a spray bottle every couple hrs, and keep them out of the sun. I just sprayed the inside and the front of the stencil.
By The Captain
Has anybody ever tried freezing your carved pumpkin? I have an empty chest freezer and was wondering what would happen?

How much in advance is every one carving?
By rosesrunred
I once put mine in the fridge without vaseline or plastic wrap and the carving got really distorted. So be careful.

I always soak the pumpkin if it dries out just soak it in the tub for about an hour, it really works.
By amandap80
On the areas where you can't get vaseline, spray with WD-40. WD-40 is basically liquid petroluem jelly. Make sure you don't have any lit candles around, and that the vapors settle before you light. I have had great luck with this.
By Liderc
Yeah, I tried freezing my pumpkins after gutting them and lost 1 a few days later, and another one of them has aged quickly.

Refridgerating is fine, freezing BAD!

Best thing is to keep them outside if you can, maybe on a screened in porch to keep the bugs away, and also keep the sun away.

Dry,cool areas=good
By The Captain
I would not try it according to this thread...
http://www.zombiepumpkins.com/forum/vie ... ht=freezer
Thank you, Freezer = Bad

That was a funny thread...."Flesh!"

I'm having a little carving "Who ha" on Friday night, they should be fine if I hit em with the petroluem jelly and keep em in the fridge.

Thanks again Pumpkingrower
By Seibella
Pumpkingrower wrote:
buhdewsy wrote:Has anybody ever tried freezing your carved pumpkin? I have an empty chest freezer and was wondering what would happen?

How much in advance is every one carving?
I would not try it according to this thread...
http://www.zombiepumpkins.com/forum/vie ... ht=freezer
I carved Captain Barbossa a few days ago and wanting to preserve it for Halloween because I think I did a good job with it, I put vegetable oil all over the cut edges, wrapped it in a dark bag and put it in my deep freezer. (I dont have room in my fridge) ...

I have been keeping an eye on it and it LOOKS GREAT, the edges and entire pumpkin have frozen the way I cut it and it has not altered one bit. I actually took it out yesterday to light it and it looked perfect!

So, I plan on taking it out on Halloween morning to let it thaw by the evening... I think your idea will work. Just lie it properly in the freezer or stand it up (and dont put anything on top of the cut edges).

You will notice some ice formulate around the edges, but, like all ice, that will melt, especially when you light the pumpkin.

Hope that helps.
By stormqueen29
Yes, we all agree they freeze beautifully. The problem lies in the thawing.

Since pumpkins are mostly water, much like a watermelon is, when they thaw they collapse within a very short time. The ice crystals weaken the cell walls, and make it impossible for the walls to support the rest of the pumpkin, let alone the carving.

So while it's frozen it is quite lovely, but pretty soon it's kind of a pumpkin puddle.

That is why freezing pumpkins is a bad idea. Once they thaw, they turn to mush, and there's not a thing you can do about it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Gale
By Lithium_joe
I saw on these forusm that WD40 (being oil-based and water-dispersing, hence mould and rot retarding) was a good solution to pyumpkin preservation (and easier to apply that quarts of Vaseline!)

Thought and opinions on the nation's favourite hinge lubricant?
By stormqueen29
I've heard of using it, but there are a few reasons why I haven't.

One it smells pretty strong when you use a lot of it. This is just a personal thing.

Two, it's very oily and slick, and I wonder how hard it would be to keep it from going all over the pumpkin, making it impossible to handle without the risk of dropping it.

Third and to me the most important reason, WD-40 is highly flammable, and I don't think lighting a candle inside a pumpkin soaked in a flammable substance is something I want to do.

Perhaps someone who has tried it or is willing to try it can chime in on this method.

Gale
By Lithium_joe
I imagine it'd only be the vapour that'd be flammable but under what conditions WD40 goes from a liquid to a gas I'm not sure.

In any event, I'm using one of those LED thigners available in the ZP shop so no naked flames.

I always rather liked the smell of WD40 but then I'm probably just weird. :|
By Pumpkin Head
Does anyone have any advice on how to revive a pumpkin after it's started to mold? I carved my pumpkins on Sunday night and made sure to keep them in the garage, where it is cool, but when I checked them this morning, they were a little on the furry side. :(
Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated!