Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Mopar Man
Has there ever been a scale for rating the difficulty of carving the different stencils that are offered? I guess it would probably be a matter of opinion. Just wondering. I'm wanting to tackle what seems to me some hard designs this season but am kind of afraid of ruining a pumpkin..
By Tkaraoke
Some patterns really intimidate me (like the Chucky one) but I always try to do at least one that I think that is out of my carving skill range. So far I've been surprised that I have been able to pull it off and I think that sometimes we make things seem harder than they are. Last year I tried the "Slimer" pattern and it came out great. I was so terrified that I was going to blow it but it worked out in the end.
By Mopar Man
The chucky one intimidates me too, as well as the freddy stencil. Last season I did the sandy gauze stencil and was in a panic with every cut I made. It turned out pretty good though for a first attempt at anything other than a silly face.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I have considered adding a difficulty scale to the patterns, but it's a tricky thing to gauge. It suppose it really is a matter of opinion. How might we rank them? By the number of shapes that get removed? By the number of points where the blades need to be turned?

Some patterns do take longer to carve than others, due to a higher number of holes that need to be cut out. But in theory, just about anyone should be able to handle any of my patterns because I put a lot of thought into making sure the lines are thick enough to support the design.

Also, I think assigning a pattern a rating of "difficult" might scare away some novice carvers from attempting the more detailed patterns. I love to see people push themselves, because more often than not, they impress themselves with what they're able to accomplish.

So have no fear... try any pattern that calls to you. As long as you have the proper carving tool and take it slow, you can do it!
By 2manyferrets
Mopar Man wrote: I'm wanting to tackle what seems to me some hard designs this season but am kind of afraid of ruining a pumpkin..

Oh dont worry about ruining a kin....theres always super glue, tooth picks, and push pins that work wonders on accidents!!!! :lol:

As for the difficulty scale, Im always up for a challenge! :D
By Mopar Man
zombiepumpkins wrote: But in theory, just about anyone should be able to handle any of my patterns because I put a lot of thought into making sure the lines are thick enough to support the design.
That was my main concern. Some of the lines seem to look pretty thin on certain stencils.. I'm definitely gonna give em' a try thouugh.
By 500cdn
As I Am New To Carving I will Just Make Sure I Don't Pick A Difficult Looking Pattern

I Am Only A Seed :lol:
By Kittie
Chucky isn't as hard as you think. It just took a long time.
By jen d.
zombiepumpkins wrote:How might we rank them? By the number of shapes that get removed? By the number of points where the blades need to be turned?

By the amount of time it takes to carve!

I always mess up the ETA of carving pumpkins, and am more often than not, still carving while my guests are showing up for the party. I know it takes different amounts of time for each person, but maybe just a 'short', 'medium', 'long', or 'epic' scale...
By belli
500cdn wrote:...I Am Only A Seed :lol:
But you are starting to sprout so try one you think is hard just to challenge yourself.
By 500cdn
belli wrote:
500cdn wrote:...I Am Only A Seed :lol:
But you are starting to sprout so try one you think is hard just to challenge yourself.
I Have Just Turned Into A Sprout :shock:
I Must Try Harder :lol:

It Would Be Nice To See A Difficulty Scale
By cuvers
I know when I look at a pattern, if I say to myself wow thts a cool pattern, I know it shouldn't take to long or be to involved, if I look at a pattern and say "oh s**t" then I know it might take a while, if I look at a pattern and say are you serious??? then it'll be a challenge.
By Crystal
I look at how may small cuts there are. Lock, Shock and Barrel
is one I really want to do but Im afraid of. :oops:
By The Captain
Freddy, Chucky, and Lock, Shock and Barrel all look hard and do take some time but with patience "you can do it!" All artists look at their work and see mostly the small mistakes and imperfections, but the viewers of the art (pumpkins) see only the beauty of the whole picture. I did Freddy the first year I was here at ZP and it turned out OK, I could see the goofs and mess ups. I got more compliments on that one pumpkin then any of the others, because they saw the whole thing and not the flaws.

You'll do fine, and if not . . . . just hide it in the bottom of the trash can, we won't tell. :wink:
By CanadianCarver
I always thought the Homer Simpson one would be tough. A lot of big cutouts with very thin lines left behind!