Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Black Talon
For all those wanting to experiment...

I've seen more and more recently the technique of cutting one design on the front and the cutting a smaller design on the upper back. When it is close to a flat, neutral wall, you get a projector-like effect. I did this using Oogie Boogie and another non-zombie design to create a really cool effect:

I also did this once with a Batman on the front, and the bat symbol on the back (which caused the bat symbol to be projected up on a wall). It seems to work best with simple designs as the image to be projected. Also, you need a good deal of "candle power" to have the rear image visible enough.

Have fun experimenting and I'd be interested in anyone else's designs or pics of previous projector designs.
Last edited by Black Talon on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By GeologySage
I've always wanted to do one of those. I'm really thinking about doing one thise year using two designs from ZP...

What's the deal with surrounding lighting and the wall behind it? How easy is it to get the pattern to show up?

Also, don't you have to cut them/place them specially?
By Black Talon
- In both my instances, the surrounding lighting was normal street lighting with my house porch lights off. Obviously, the more light around, the more it loses its effect

- The wall in the picture is actually my garage door, so it wasn't even really flat (it was a roll-up). The other one was against gray-painted wood-siding (also not flat). Still worked pretty darn good. Once again, I think the flatter/whiter, the better.

- I did not cut them any differently other than resize the rear image a little smaller, and moved it up a little higher. Make sure your top hole doesn't interfere with the rear image and also that there is no extra candle light come out of the cracks from the lid.

- Not placed in any special manner... the pictured one is just sitting on my driveway, my other one was on a stool next to an outside wall of my house.
By GeologySage
Hmmmmm, I was understanding that you had to trim some flesh around the 'silhouette' design for it to shine upwards or something.

Oh well, if I'm still up for more carving after doing my few designs this year maybe I'll try it.

Also, I love your pic up there. Baby's first Halloween with a stroller and the Boogie man watching over hehe. Very good!
By Black Talon
Thanks!

For me, it was "candle power" that really does the trick. I think I had four or so tea candles in there to really project the back image...
By reignman40
I love the projector effect and I've been working on perfecting it for a while number of years. At first I had issues placing the image high enough. As was mention you want it to be higher on the pumpkin in order to shine upwards. Of course making your cuts at a downward angle also increases the amount of light coming into your project pattern at the right angle.

I don't know if anyone if familiar with the Insane Clown Posse but this year I made an ICP pumpkin and put the Psychopathic Records logo as a projection. It looks pretty good. I don't have pics yet though. It's an awesome effect when you get it though and when you do, all the work is worth it.
By Dragon
Ohh yeah, I have one of those "Shadows" pattern books. I have never done it because I just don't have any places to put my pumpkin close to in order for the effect to appear on the wall (Also, some of the patterns in the book aren't really worth the effort.). It is rather cool though!
By Niceworkbonedaddy
adam

that sounds really neat you need to post the pciks when its done cant wait!!!!