Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.

A quick demo of the Stick 'n Carve paper on a real pumpkin. Print a pattern onto one of these 8.5" x 11" sheets and stick the thin, flexible, translucent material onto your pumpkin. The design will stay in place while you carve right through it. When you're done, peel off the pattern or dissolve the water-soluble material with water.
I have trouble using it for detailed patterns but you make it look like a breeze. I find it disintegrates when I get to the teeth etc. I still have 20 -40 sheets left because I thought it was the second coming. I still use Saral paper for 80%. Which i'm low on and need some suggestions on where to order. Amazon Canada is like $40 a roll.
Great video! I am still falling back on printer paper and a glue stick. I like the Stick 'n Carve, but I have to work really fast to keep it from dissolving. I need to give it another shot.
I still keep with Stick 'n Carve, but I have to think about which part of the design to carve first, and think about what impact that that might have on other areas that have yet to be carved. Speed being the key when you know that the transfer is going to start to disintegrate.

I've not messed up any pumpkins yet since I've been using stick 'n carve, but it certainly does keep you on your toes when it comes to carving with it.

I bought a pottery loop this year with the intention of making the pumpkin walls thinner than I was getting using the pumpkin gutter drill attachment. Usually I end up with 1 1/2" or sometimes thicker walls on the pumpkin, so I'll be interested to see if I can reduce the wall thickness and if that reduces the amount of juice that dissolves the transfer at all..

Just to update since I've had the opportunity to use a clay loop on 20+ pumpkins this year. No, it doesn't appear to reduce the amount of moisture with thinner walls on the pumpkins. But it is significantly easier to carve a pumpkin with thinner walls and therefore you get the job done before the Stick 'n' Carve dissolves, or at least that was my experience this year.

I will certainly be using the clay loop tool for future pumpkins from now on.
Bravo020, I agree with what you say about the Stick 'n Carve. You have to stay aware when carving smaller details that are close together. In spots like that, it helps to work quickly, cutting out pieces that are right next to the previous one you cut. Don't give the paper too much time to melt.

I don't think there's any way to change how juicy the pumpkin is, once it's grown. Some are dry inside (good for Stick 'n Carve, but harder to cut smoothly). Some are juicy inside (bad for Stick 'n Carve, but easier to cut smoothly).

Either way, thinning the walls of the pumpkin where you plan to carve will always make your job easier. You can cut all the way through without fail, it takes less hand pressure, and you can work faster.

So it was a wise choice, in my opinion, to get the clay loop for thinning the inside! :thumbsup:
Bravo020 liked this