Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
I think this is where I can post this. Anyways, I was wondering how exactly the pumpkin patterns on this site are made. You don't have to tell me exactly every step you do (of coarse that would be nice :D ). I make patterns of my own, but they never look as perfect as yours. I was wondering if you use a computer to make your patterns or if you draw them on paper and scan them or what. Thanks.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
My pumpkin patterns are usually made entirely on the computer. I'll start by sketching out the shapes in Adobe Photoshop (drawing with a Wacom tablet). After enough experience creating these, I like to think I've developed an "eye" for what will work as a pumpkin carving. Then I bring the sketch into Adobe Illustrator to retrace it with the pen tool. That's how I get the smooth lines and the "perfect" look.
By sodajazz
do you carve using your own stencils....... do you carve :?:
what was the first stencil ever you carved on a pumpkin :?:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I do carve my own stencils. Whose else would I carve? :P

I think the first stencil (of my own design) that I carved was "Rob Zombie", which is still available on the Rockstar Gods page. This was several years ago, before there was such a thing as ZombiePumpkins.com. But I suppose this site's title is rather fitting, considering my first stencil was of Mr. Zombie.

As for the first stencil I EVER used for carving... well that was probably some Pumpkin Masters design from many many years ago. But those are dark times, that we don't talk about. B.Z. (Before ZombiePumpkins) :wink:
By Mister_JP
I hear that, Ryan! I think mine was way back in '96, I did their headless horseman design (this one I think it was) Image
after doing it, I said to myself "I can draw these things myself, and the rest is history.
By Nikki
Oooh I like that headless horseman! Good work...
By Mister_JP
Well, giving credit where credit is due, that is a Pumpkin Master's design, and I lifted that pic from another carving site. I didn't carve that actual pumpkin, I just was saying that it was the first pumpkin stencil I ever used.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Yep, I'd like to offer pattern books. Who knows... maybe next year. :)
By GeologySage
I say nay. Keep it to the system you have now. It's unique and you don't have to mess around with all the crap involved in producing, selling, and shipping booklets.

I say that if this system *cough* pays the bills then stick with it and improve upon it.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Yea, if I were to make books of patterns, it would probably be on a smallish scale. Something special. But ZombiePumpkins.com will always be the main home for my pumpkin stencils. The web way is easy (for all of us) and it's a great way to reach a lot of people. I love the personal interaction I get to have with all my fellow pumpkin heads, and I want to keep it that way. :)
By sodajazz
think we forget theres a man behind zombie pumpkins and not a machine :oops:

if it aint broke..... dont fix it :roll:

i think if you acted on all the suggestions that forum members have offered you wouldnt have time for anything else :(

looks like the inmates are trying to take over the asylum.....

BOLT THE DOORS :!: