Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
I saw one member's video of using the pumpkin gutter, and I was impressed. However, I saw that a sawzalll was used to cut open the top "lid" of the pumpkin cleanly.

I've looked around online for a used one. However, my non-pumpkin crazy husband thinks I'm going overboard.

Any suggestions for things besides the trusty old knife to cut off the top of a 'kin in a cleaner and more efficient manner?
By Kittie
We only used the saw zaw becuase we had to gut 38 pumpkins all at once. . the saw zaw deffinately made it alot faster.

:)
By Tkaraoke
I know that "going overboard" feeling very well. I had considered buying one of those saws as well but then I happened to come across a very sharp steak knife from the kitchen that did an awesome job. I decided that spending the $$$ for one of those saws really wasn't worth it in most normal pumpkin carving situations. I'd stick with the knife unless you plan to be a UBER-pumpkineer like Kittie! LOL
:D
By Kittie
Yeah, that is the other thing, we already had one. We didn't go out and get it just for pumpkins. My husband had gotten a whole set for christmas a few years before and he uses it all the time.

I wouldn't run out and spend the money on it. . but I dont' think I can ever use a knife again. . . horror story. .

Okay I will tell it. . There is a girl that works across from our Deli at a bank. Last Halloween she was carving pumpkins with her 4 year old son. . She had to cut the top off the pumpkin so she took out a giant knife and stabbed it into the top of the pumpkin. The pumpkin was thick and she was having a hard time. . and then. . it happened. . Her hand came off the handle and slid all the way down the blade. She cut into her hand and 3 of her fingers. She had a lot of nerve damage and I think she said 29 stiches. Her son was mortified and doesn't want to carve pumpkins ever again (I hope he will get over this horrible accident). But ever since then. . I have a really hard time grabbing a knife, or watching people put a knife into the top of a pumpkin. . *shivers*
By Tkaraoke
Holy cow! That's terrible...

I remember when I was young (on the rare occasion we did carve a pumpkin) we would use the biggest knife in the kitchen to cut the lip off. A steak knife is the perfect size for the job and you shouldn't need a blade longer than that.
By angstmama
Thanks for the info (and moving the thread for me).

I've seen used sawzalls on Craigslist for around $15. I dont' have the cash for a new one! :lol:
By Joey
Jeeze, that's a horror story for sure. I mean, I've had it happen with the little pumpkin masters saws when they've broken, but no stitches or real damage. Just slapped a bandaid on and got back to carving. That's really horrible.
By 2manyferrets
I use a large serrated knife. It works wonders!

By CorpseBride
Me too 2manyferrets (ha ha...love the name)....why spend loads of cash when ya don't need to! lol :lol: