Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Tkaraoke
When visiting my local Walmart, I came across the new Pumpkin Master carving kit and a new "pumpkin gutting" battery powered tool. Has anybody seen these yet?

The new patterns in the book look pretty weak with the exception of two which I would actually consider carving. The newest addition to the kit is a new pumpkin poking tool that is kind of like a very small pizza cutter/wheel that you run along the lines of the pattern to transfer it to the pumpkin. Looks interesting but the "teeth" are very small and I wonder how easy it would be to see on the pumpkin.

The new pumpkin gutting tool looks (to me) like total crap compared to the Pumpkin Gutter. It says it will remove seeds and strings as well as pulp to thin down the pumpkin wall. It has a plastic ball-like head with ridges on it for scooping.
Last edited by Tkaraoke on Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Nightwatchman
I think that I will stick to the old way of cleaning pumpkins. At least there are new patterns this year, not a lot of the same thing with a different title.
By Kittie
Nightwatchman wrote:I think that I will stick to the old way of cleaning pumpkins. At least there are new patterns this year, not a lot of the same thing with a different title.
The old way is nothing compared to using the Pumpkin Gutter! I bought one last year and I LOVE it.

http://www.getcarvingquicker.com/

It is the best pumpkin carving tool I have ever purchased.
By Nightwatchman
I have seen the Pumpkin Gutter and wondered how well it works. Do you need a second person to hold the pumpkin as you clean it out?
Last edited by Nightwatchman on Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Kittie
Here is a video we made of using it

It makes it a bit easier with a second person, or you can set the pumpkin down in a milkcrate and hold the crate with your feet.
By angstmama
I just ordered a pumpkin gutter on Wednesday. I can't wait for it to arrive. Do you all use it with a corded or cordless drill, or does it matter? Does the drill get hot with longer use, like with a larger pumpkin?
By Tkaraoke
Nightwatchman wrote:I have seen the Pumpkin Gutter and wondered how well it works. Do you need a second person to hold the pumpkin as you clean it out?
I have a Pumpkin Gutter as well and think it's the *MUST* have tool for anybody wanting to carve more than a few pumpkins. Last year I was able to use the PG by myself without any problem. Just in case however, I did have one of those "egg crates" that I was able to set the pumpkin in (or partially in) and that kept it from moving around. The PG is one of those tools that once you first use it you will will wonder how you ever got along without it.

My PG is missing and I'm pretty ticked about that. I'm waiting for Ryan's store to open up for the year so I can get another one.
By Tkaraoke
angstmama wrote:Do you all use it with a corded or cordless drill, or does it matter? Does the drill get hot with longer use, like with a larger pumpkin?
I used a cordless drill with my PG last year and didn't have any problems. The deal is that the PG works so fast, that I don't think the drill have time to heat up. Since you do have to take the PG out ever once in awhile to clean off the strings and pulp that sticks to it, it does give your drill a chance to cool down. You can probably gut and thin down a whole pumpkin in less than 10 minutes...it's that freaking fast!
:D
By Kittie
I used a cordless drill. We did 38 pumpkins in about 3 hours.
By Tkaraoke
I actually ended up with more gutted pumpkins than I could carve. If I remember, I think I had three pumpkins that I gutted but never got around to carving. I hate wasting them like that but after doing 9 of them I couldn't stand the smell of pumpkin anymore! ROFLMAO!
:lol:
By vaderknightrider
I just picked up the new carving kit today. <bored> Oh, yay. :?

I'm looking forward to trying the PG this year. Of course, I do have to buy it and a drill first.
By Tkaraoke
I know it seems like we dump on the PM kit stencils every year but they look pretty weak this time around as well. I'm glad we have other sources to help put those kits to good use! LOL
By Joey
I picked up a kit at Michaels the other week. I may do a pattern or two from it, the tree one looks nice, as does the bonus owl one.

As for that rolly poker tool, I'm kinda skeptical. I tried using a similar sewing tool that was larger, and that was a disaster. Maybe since this one is smaller it might work, but I may just stick to the old standbys of regular poking or just gluing.