Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By SaneInsideInsanity
Hey ghouls I know I’ve been pretty quiet this year but an chiming in for a bit of advice now.... I happen to be at my parents house visiting this Halloween and my uncle just dropped off a 400lb pumpkin to carve.... it’s splitting though the base....

Just looking for some general advice if anyone has done a carve this big abd any tool advice etc
By nosferatu
Gourdness gracious me! Wow! No advice as I wouldn't have a clue where to start. Good luck though and I look forward to seeing the finished result.
By shaft28
No idea, beyond my experience. Likely a time machine for 4 days to work on such a behemoth (and to do research on how to start). Good luck!
By SaneInsideInsanity
It’s defin a time crunch I already had five to do this afternoon... that’s what I get for coming down late
By SaneInsideInsanity
Well they surprisingly weren’t that hard though due to time crunch definitely not my best work.... a drywall saw and the almighty pumpkin gutter worked well but definitely somethings I’ll change if I get gifted these big ones ever again. Like getting them a week prior and actually printing and blowing up some pattern lol not just staring at the grinning jacks section for inspiration All in all not too bad though for an hour
shaft28 liked this
By DeadKing
You did good SaneInsideInsanity. With those big pumpkins it all depends on "flesh" thickness and density. They can be quite big and yet soft so that you can cut them with a large knife, and they can be smaller but the flesh can be really hard to cut so you must use a chainsow.. :lol:
Here is my big pumpkin from 2015 which had soft flesh so I could cut it with a large knife.. I could do better with carving but did not have the time, so I just cut the simple pattern.

this is my mom beside the pumpkin Image
shaft28 liked this
By amandap80
WOW, those are some big pumpkins!!! You all did a great job! My big boys weren't as big as that this year.
Last edited by amandap80 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By DeadKing
mesmark wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:00 pm
That is either one massive pumpkin or you have a very tiny mother. :pale:
:lol: She is an average sized person, and the pumpkin was about 900 lbs.. could weigh more considering size but it had quite thin pumpkin shell/flesh.
By monstermash
Jeepers! I have a major case of big pumpkin envy. If I was lucky enough to get one of those one year I think I'd hollow it out and live in there until it got too stinky. That's...normal...right...?
Hats off to all of you that tackled such beastly kins!
matspud liked this
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I think the largest pumpkin I've carved was just a bit over 50 lb. So some of you surely have me beat. :surprised: I'd like to tackle one of these several-hundred-pound monsters someday. I'm not scared! I imagine the process is familiar. Just takes more time and larger versions of the usual tools.
By Mayor of Haddonfield
Wow, these pumpkins are huge! I'd love to have one that is several hundred pounds, then pick out my favorite pattern and blow it up by 300% or so!