Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Rydis
I tried carving my first pumpkin but have a few questions on how to deal with some things I ran into.

first..how do you deal with the parts that hang off after your carving (visable in pic 3)

Also..I had a lot of issues carving slim areas without them just falling.

2. It shriveled up in less than a day. Before I could even get a light for it.

My first ever..but im still disappointed. Appreciative any feedback

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/imag ... rpGXU950eA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imgur.com/9wpAS4L" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imgur.com/ctwlPWT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imgur.com/OdSXhR2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imgur.com/c7c2PHI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imgur.com/YTLLA36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Zombie Pumpkins!
You could reserve those types of patterns (with thin, dangling pieces) for carving on foam pumpkins, which don't shrivel up.

For real pumpkins, you might stick to patterns where the designer kept the structural supports in mind, and didn't design too many thin lines or hanging bits. 8)
By Rydis
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:You could reserve those types of patterns (with thin, dangling pieces) for carving on foam pumpkins, which don't shrivel up.

For real pumpkins, you might stick to patterns where the designer kept the structural supports in mind, and didn't design too many thin lines or hanging bits. 8)
is that how others do it, with foam pumpkins? I was pretty fooled
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thin hanging pieces will always shrivel up faster. You can seal the edges with Vaseline to help it last longer. But if you're carving thin pieces in real pumpkin, I'd suggest photographing it right after carving, so you can always remember it when it was pristine. Won't stay that way for too long. Of course, in dry foam, anything is possible (and if it breaks, you can super glue it).
By chuckwagon
I'm gonna agree with The Patch Master here in saying that it might be a safer bet to keep a complex pattern such as this on standby until you can immortalize it on a foam pumpkin. My reasoning may be slightly biased though, in that I almost only ever carve foamies because I use a Dremel exclusively, which gives you the ability to use smaller sized drill bits to make very precise cuts fairly easy. When I say small, i mean SMALL, like 2 and 3 millimeter bits, or as big as only 1/32nd to 1/16th for larger cut out areas. This is not to say that you can't do smaller details with a carving kit, but just based on my own personal preference, I use the Dremel because it feels right for me.

However, don't discourage yourself!! The degree of difficulty in your pattern selection there is enough to make even a seasoned veteran sweat a little bit. Those branches are crazy thin, and do pose a very honest challenge! Don't give up though. Keep carving, and you'll be bangin' out patterns with the best of 'em soon enough. :thumbsup:
Try putting the pumpkin in a sink or bucket full of water for a couple hours. A lot of times that will help with the wilting and the pumpkin will spring back to life. It may not look as good as when you first carved it, but you'd be surprised how well this works.
By Rydis
thanks for the feedback.

Dont know if I would ever want to do a foam pumpkin, kind of like the real ones.

Yeah I thought the small parts would be easier, as i seen lots of others do just fine, but also why I didn't even attempt the grass.

I had a much better similar picture I watned to do, but I can't find it again for the life of me. Same black sillohute with orange background, but has a person tot he right in a graveyard and a spider coming from the left side. Might of been easier, held up better.

Mostly I think just disappointed it messed up so quickly. But was my first attempt and i wanted to try big.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Don't be disappointed, your carving still looks good. And you should be proud of the ambition to go big, right out of the gate. I've encountered way too many people that say, "Oh, I won't even try the beginner patterns, I have no artistic talent." People should have more faith in themselves!
By SuperSonic
For someone who is new to the game, you did an amazing job with what you had to go with! Don't discourage yourself.

However. Foam (for this design) may be the best route due to the lack of support in the areas with branches. This is no easy pattern by any means. And you did a phenomenal job with what you have at your disposal with your skill level.

I find that personally, when I go to select patterns I want to do, I look for support in any places where there may not be, and add to it.

For example, you could very well bridge the gap by adding in a branch or two, to connect with the house. As well as the edge of the circle for more stability in the days coming up to Halloween.

Just some food for thought :)
By matspud
I think it was a great job for a 1st attempt ( if a little ambitious). Another way you could have done this would be to sculpt (shave) the whole moon bit just keeping cut through for the windows/ pumpkin face etc. That would deal with the structural issues and would also give you more of the diffuse glow than straight cut-through.

Whatever you do, don't let your disappointment stop you dong more carving. Just choose more structurally sound patterns ( like the ones on this site) or adapt less sound patterns to sculpt and cut through.
By Rydis
SuperSonic wrote:For someone who is new to the game, you did an amazing job with what you had to go with! Don't discourage yourself.

However. Foam (for this design) may be the best route due to the lack of support in the areas with branches. This is no easy pattern by any means. And you did a phenomenal job with what you have at your disposal with your skill level.

I find that personally, when I go to select patterns I want to do, I look for support in any places where there may not be, and add to it.

For example, you could very well bridge the gap by adding in a branch or two, to connect with the house. As well as the edge of the circle for more stability in the days coming up to Halloween.

Just some food for thought :)
Thats what I found out after the fact. Thats why I have the bigger cutout that I moved it that you can see. I realized..how will the bats and such be supported. And had to come back in with it to make sure they were there...even though is unnoticeable. Branch to the house..smart idea.
matspud wrote:I think it was a great job for a 1st attempt ( if a little ambitious). Another way you could have done this would be to sculpt (shave) the whole moon bit just keeping cut through for the windows/ pumpkin face etc. That would deal with the structural issues and would also give you more of the diffuse glow than straight cut-through.

Whatever you do, don't let your disappointment stop you dong more carving. Just choose more structurally sound patterns ( like the ones on this site) or adapt less sound patterns to sculpt and cut through.
I thought about shaving the outside surrounding area actually. That way you had the center part (wouldn't look so empty/large if tree was better done/not wilting) That way the inside glow was good, then the surrounding area would have the softer glow while leaving the silhouette..was an idea I wanted to try if was still in good shape.

I think the 2 biggest issues I had were

#1. I didn't shave the inside deep enough. I did just enough to clean it out and make it smooth, but as I was cutting, I was going about 3 inches deep. Most tools didn't even have that long of a end, so i was really messing it up that way. If I would just a lot deeper on the inside carving it out I think would of been better (and even more supported because of all the extra weight dragging it down).

#2..not sure how to get around this one was the actually pattern onto the pumpkin. I couldn't get it even at all because of the shape. Paper was all scrunched and couldn't tape it down. Had bubbles everywhere.