Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I just realized that there have only been 4 topics posted in this "pumpkin carving help" section for the entire year!

So are we all just experts now? :wink: Maybe there aren't many new revelations in pumpkin carving technique to talk about. But at least we have a good archive of topics, for any newbies that need to learn the ropes.

Whole on this topic, I'd like to point out that I rewrote my pumpkin carving tutorials page, to highlight some of my current preferred techniques and tools:

:arrow: Pumpkin Carving Tutorials

By Cirrus
I'm not even close to expert -- I'm in it for the fun, and I learn something new on these forums every visit, although I love the challenge of a detailed carve.

I do think there is a lot of interest in foamies these days, and I carve my share, but for me there's nothing quite like the anticipation of cutting off the top of a real 'kin and peeking in for the first time. Will it be dry? Will it be juicy? Rotten and moldy? Will there be enough seeds to roast? How will it glow when it's lit up? A lot of it is sensory -- I just really dig the feel, smell and slime of a real pumpkin. It keeps me coming back to them every year. My Bucket List includes someday going from seed to carve without leaving my own back yard.
By SuperSonic
I feel really good about my skill level. But I am far from an expert. Though. Your patterns make my Halloween for sure! Not sure where I would be without them! :love: :witch:
By Raven
Far from expert, although I feel I do a decent job at carving. Foamies still give me a headache, but I don't really like them so haven't done a whole lot of them and shading is something I despise, so again, not good at it. That being said on shading, I've seen some fantastic shaded 'kins from others, I just don't prefer it, not knocking anyone.

If there is anything I do happen to have a question about it's more than likely already been answered on the forum.

Your tutorial is great, Ryan. A few years ago I took your advice about rinsing the carved 'kin off in the sink and it really made a world of difference. Of course, I also learned about Saral paper here. Best invention ever in my mind. :wink:
By Ajax
It's kind of funny because when people come to my house and see 25 pumpkins all carved with awesome stencils they think I'm some kind of an artist. An artist I am not. Ryan is the Artist I am just a messenger. I am like an actor and he is the playwright or director. I advise them no I use stencils from zombie pumpkins.com. There is a certain degree of skill to carve a pumpkin but it's mostly patience. On that note though if people don't know about saral paper or stick and carve and I don't tell them they would be pretty blown away that I poked all those dots on 25 pumpkins. It use to take me 3 or 4 hours to do 1.
By Minionette
I think too, that a lot of questions get asked in answered in individual threads. I've grown so much thanks to everyone's helpfulness. A master, not yet, but maybe one day!
By Mister_JP
Everyone can learn something new, no matter how experienced they have become. I personally love to see people challenging themselves and making themselves better, regardless of what level they are on, or where they have come from.

On the flip side, it's always sad to see individuals who think they already know everything... they have so much to learn.