Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By St0ney
Anyone Else try this?

I was at one of the craft stores, and just happened to see an open Pumpkin Masters carving book.
(Okay when no one was looking I ripped the Sticker that Seals it) - LOL

Any-who they are now promoting just taking the pattern, place it on the pumpkin, and Wrap cling Wrap around the WHOLE Kin...
And Carve through it.

Now I tried this the other night, Actually Bought a Real Pumpkin - to test this On. Because I like this Idea...
(I like anything New and Easy)

I used Normal Food Cling Wrap, and put it on nice and tight, Once I started carving the Cut-Out Pattern the Cling Wrap Slipped off... :thumbsdown:

So Because I used a few Pieces of tape on the pattern/pumpkin, the pattern was still on.
I then went down my basement, and Grabbed Actual Shrink Wrap - Not the Heated Kind - The Kind that you wrap Boxes to a Pallet with.

Again I went around the pumpkin a few times and it was very tight, The First Couple shapes it worked out Great, then it started to break down,
The plastic was Pulling off all around where the cuts were made... So I bagged the Kin and tossed it...

Let me Know if any of you have any Success with this method,,

I think if your only doing say a Jack-O face, it will work great, anything with Close shapes that need to be cut - wont work...

Now I have to wonder if pumpkin master did any actual testing on this ? I saw in the first few minutes it was not going to work.
I also saw this new transfer method on the Pumpkin Masters packaging in the stores. I took this photo...

After years of seeing them promote the poke poke poke method, I was intrigued to see a new method suggested. And one that just uses common household supplies.

But then my very next thought was... how is that going to work? Just doesn't seem practical to me. From the sounds of it, it's not.

St0ney, did you wet the pattern as they suggest in the diagrams?
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:St0ney, did you wet the pattern as they suggest in the diagrams?
Yep ! But I didn't Soak it as they Show -
I used my own printed pattern. With a Ink-jet your going to get black water - and a messed up blurred pattern...

So I sprayed water on it from a spray bottle. (which I do for all real Kins)

as we all know their patterns are printed on VERY thin paper, (But I can't really see that making a difference ?)

Lets see if others have any success - I do like the Idea !
I bought one of their pattern books, as I do every year, but it's been years since I've carved one of their patterns. I was intrigued at this new way they have of transferring the pattern, but my largest problem with it is once you use it you no longer have the pattern unless you copy it somehow. Of course, you need to do that with a lot of the ways to transfer a pattern. At least with the Saral paper you have the original pattern still. I don't know why I'm concerned about all that though since I don't do their patterns and always print out more than one copy from here.
I saw this as well, was intrigued but haven't tried it yet. They must have realized they were still the only ones promoting the poke method (I haven't poked to transfer a pattern in YEARS!!) and decided to upgrade. From what I can see gluing the pattern on with Elmer's glue and letting it dry is a better option than the cling wrap. Makes you wonder if they did test it.

Actually the device they have that I really might be interested in was a rotating lit pumpkin holder. It came with three patterns of characters on carousel horses. I don't know what size limit it has for pumpkins but something like that would be nice for display multiple carves on one kin.
Euri wrote:Actually the device they have that I really might be interested in was a rotating lit pumpkin holder. It came with three patterns of characters on carousel horses. I don't know what size limit it has for pumpkins but something like that would be nice for display multiple carves on one kin.
I want one of those too.
A method I been using for years that works best for me..
I started out with the poke method from the brand of books that is shown above. But it felt too clumsy since you always need to looks closely for the finer details.
Then I read about a simple method on the internet and it worked great.

Just print the pattern on a A4 sized self adhesive label, stick it on the pumpkin and carve away. :lol:

It might seem a little more expensive but here in the Netherlands the labels cost about $15 per 100.