Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By midimob
Hi
Just wondering when you guys buy your real pumpkins? I usually buy them 2-3 days before Halloween (when I carve them). My sister has already bought hers but won't carve them til 31st, is this too early??
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Not too early at all. I already bought a bunch. Some folks buy in September. How long you can keep them intact depends on your climate, but if you store them safely in a cool place and keep an eye on them, you should be fine. Personally, I'd be afraid to wait until right before Halloween, for fear that I won't be able to find any good ones. Then again, I'm usually looking to guy about a dozen at once.
By Raven
The minute I see them in stores, which is usually in September, I start buying. I've never lost one to rot yet although I did have one that I saved till January get a soft spot.

Just think of it this way. The farmers harvest their pumpkins from mid August through September, so they are already cut from the vines and sitting around somewhere waiting to be sold or brought to the stores. As long as you have a good place in your house to store them it's basically the same thing. Keep them cool and dry and they should be fine for quite awhile.
By SuperSonic
Raven wrote:Just think of it this way. The farmers harvest their pumpkins from mid August through September, so they are already cut from the vines and sitting around somewhere waiting to be sold or brought to the stores. As long as you have a good place in your house to store them it's basically the same thing. Keep them cool and dry and they should be fine for quite awhile.
Quoth the Raven Nevermore. I just thought I'd say that as it was the opportune moment.

I buy literally from the last full day in September, till about the second week in October (which is now really). I keep them outside, underneath tarps. Although this isn't the best possible method, it's the only one I can use. My house doesn't have enough room for 30 :lol:

I keep a bi-weekly check on them, and rub off any mold that comes on the stems (as this does happen and gives you an idea as to how long they will last). The more white mold around the stem, it can mean one of two things:

1. The pumpkin is actually rotting from the inside, and there is nothing you can do (rarely the case).

2. The STEM is molding and you just have to keep an eye on it.

Just rub it off, and the more times it occurs, the faster the pumpkin is molding. Keep them in a cool dry area (as mentioned in other posts), and you should be okay. The problem I have is dealing with the elements. As in my region, rain is a plenty in October. This year I have taken a new approach. Double Tarping. (pics to follow).

Essentially I use one tarp as a solid base.

Then, overtop of this tarp I then throw on another.

Section (Cut Away) View.

This is from the longer, not wider side of my tarps.
- - - - - - - - -
- Pumpkins -

Then I secure all sides (as I leave excess), with some logs, and some of the out door furniture I have. This way the tarp that lays on top doesnt blow off, and most water is unable to get in underneath and cause havoc if we get a torrential downpour.

I hope this helps you understand how protecting pumpkins works if you buy them early (like most of us do).
By Ajax
I have 28 I think lost count. Bought them last Sunday. There big to some were $8 most were $5. Seen them today at superstore for 2.99 :thumbsdown: I don't really need anymore. :arrowhead: