Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Autie5162
At work we are having a pumpkin "decorating"contest which usually means people dress their pumpkins up and they all look lame. Anyway last year I carved the Freddy pattern and it looked AMAZING But was only amazing if I took you in a dark room and lit it up. Which is a pain since these are displayed in our sun lit lobby so our customers can aLso vote. I want to win cause I LOVE carving these patterns but I need a better method of display because you can't really see what amazing thing I've carved than a spray painted pumpkin posing as an m&m whips me.... It's very sad. Someone suggested spray painting the interior of the pumpkin black and lighting it with artificial LEDs. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or reasons why the black interior would not work? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I feel your pain, in regards to carved pumpkins not looking as good in the daylight. I wouldn't advise spray painting the interior black. The pumpkin patterns you're carving are designed to have light coming through the open holes. If you make the inside darker than the outside of the pumpkin, you'll end up with an inverted negative image which might make it even more confusing for the viewer to tell what they're looking at. If anything, spray painting the OUTSIDE black would work better, to create more contrast, making the interior appear lighter.

Another idea... try light colored balloon on the inside. Check this out.
By Autie5162
that balloon thing is a great idea I would have NEVER thought about that. I had the same concerns about spray painting the inside but thought I would bounce it off someone. I will probably try the balloon before I spray paint it and see if I even need to do that. SO excited! Thank you!
By SuperSonic
Autie5162 wrote:that balloon thing is a great idea I would have NEVER thought about that. I had the same concerns about spray painting the inside but thought I would bounce it off someone. I will probably try the balloon before I spray paint it and see if I even need to do that. SO excited! Thank you!
I would do both. Black with a Yellow balloon might just be what you're looking for. For the indoors at least.
By staticfurball
I've seen lit punkins displayed indoors in a dark box instead of a light box. take a nice size box and pray paint the inside black and decorate of paint the outside as well but the lit pumpkin shows pretty well. its like a little dark room! :)