Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Jaydenbug
I am carving a pumpkin for a local carving contest and I need to preserve the pumpkin for a total of two full days before judging and need to know what all I can do to make sure the pumpkin still looks tip top shape two days after carving. I've read a few tips and just wanted to see all the suggestions as this is my first "serious" time carving. Thanks! :thumbsup:
By Kayo
go look through pumpkin carving tips part of the forum there are lots of topics about this. one thing that works well is petroleum jelly good luck
By Pargolf
Two days - In all honesty you should not have to do much. Wrap with seran wrap and put in the fridge. If you want to be fantsy, do a quick scrapping of the inside of pumpkin (Stay away from carved area) before judging. The moisture will come to surface giving you a nice clean sheen during judging!!! :thumbsup:

What are ya carvin???
By Pumpken
It shouldn't start rotting in two days, but may shrivel up a little. Just soak it in cold water for a couple hours before the judging and it will be good as new. If it has to be on display for those two days before judging, I would soak it just before taking it in to make sure it has maximum moisture to survive.
By Jaydenbug
Thanks! Sadly I won't be able to do anything to it before its displayed and judged. I read the tips and will soak and do the petroleum jelly ideas beforehand.

I am hoping... if turns out good enough to either do Mike from Monsters, Inc. or Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story.
By SCAREcrow
I always use a spraybottle with water and bleach. The water hydrates and the bleach keeps away nasty bacteria and bugs. I have also read that all purpose cleaners containing bleach work wonders. http://www.extremepumpkins.com/pumpkin- ... thods.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this guy tested 14 different methods and he found Chlorox Cleanup With Bleach worked best.