Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By brandon_fear
Hey guys. Tonight I carved a pumpkin with the new Hulk Avengers pattern and wanted to try out glow sticks for the lighting.

However, I used 3 really bright glow sticks but it wasn't bright as one of my liquid candles that I use this time of year.

Do you guys anything out on the market that is really bright for real pumpkins besides the normal candles?

Thanks!
By NikkiRae
You could always try LED lights. Ryan has a great post on them and a website that sells them in the Lighting and Photography section of the forum. Also, ThinkGeek.com sells LED graffiti. You get 20 lights for like $15. I think they're a one-time use type of thing, but they're supposed to last for a decent number of hours and they're really bright for their size. Good luck!
By Kayo
wow think and the site delivers! i was thinking about getting the military grade glow sticks my self for patterns like Hulk and the Frankenstine monster and was about to ask what others thought of it. is that what your using Brandon_fear?

NikkiRae did you think like LED costume lights (they are a wire string of battery powered LEDs) would work?
By NikkiRae
Kayo wrote:NikkiRae did you think like LED costume lights (they are a wire string of battery powered LEDs) would work?
They might. I've personally never used them and honestly have no idea where to buy them. But if you're looking for a way to light multiple pumpkins at once or just looking for extra brightness, they may be a good option!
By brandon_fear
Kayo wrote:wow think and the site delivers! i was thinking about getting the military grade glow sticks my self for patterns like Hulk and the Frankenstine monster and was about to ask what others thought of it. is that what your using Brandon_fear?

NikkiRae did you think like LED costume lights (they are a wire string of battery powered LEDs) would work?
I actually bought like 5 $1 glow sticks at my local Walmart. I've never used the military grade, but I'd say they are way brighter. Let me know if they are.

There's something about the inside of a real pumpkin in which normal lighting (candles, bulbs, etc) makes the pattern look amazing.

If anyone has any other methods with using bright colored lights, let me know!
By Gigatron
Well, if you dint mind spending $6, you can always get the replacment bulb/socket/cord assemblies that they sell for the christmas villiage sets (Like Department56), It's basically a small lightbulb on an extension cord. Cut a hole in the back of the pumpkin (I prefer to do it near the bottom, and angle it upwards) and insert the socket assembly. Batteries never die, and you can any number of color filters to change the color, without affecting the bulb (or being stuck with a colored bulb that you might not need the following year.).

-Fred
By Kayo
Gigatron wrote:Well, if you dint mind spending $6, you can always get the replacment bulb/socket/cord assemblies that they sell for the christmas villiage sets (Like Department56), It's basically a small lightbulb on an extension cord. Cut a hole in the back of the pumpkin (I prefer to do it near the bottom, and angle it upwards) and insert the socket assembly. Batteries never die, and you can any number of color filters to change the color, without affecting the bulb (or being stuck with a colored bulb that you might not need the following year.).

-Fred
that only works on indoors pumpkins or foamies.
brandon_fear wrote: I actually bought like 5 $1 glow sticks at my local Walmart. I've never used the military grade, but I'd say they are way brighter. Let me know if they are.

There's something about the inside of a real pumpkin in which normal lighting (candles, bulbs, etc) makes the pattern look amazing.

If anyone has any other methods with using bright colored lights, let me know!
they are brighter and burn longer because i want to use them outside in real 'kins thats why i was wondering