Binging bloody broadcasts, shocking shows and supernatural series.
BBC Four's new Gothic Literature Collection on iPlayer might be of interest to UK minions and to those who use a proxy to get around the iPlayer's geo-ip blocking ;)

You can watch the programmes here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p0287yq9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Dracula Business
First transmitted in 1974, Dan Farson investigates the facts and legends surrounding his great-uncle Bram Stoker's creation - Dracula.

The Strange Affair of Frankenstein
First transmitted in 1986, Robert Symes investigates the background to Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein.

Ian Rankin Investigates: Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
First transmitted in 2007.
Writer Ian Rankin investigates The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, tracing Robert Louis Stevenson's story back to events in Stevenson's childhood.

The Bronte Business
First transmitted in 1977, Joan Bakewell visits Haworth in Yorkshire, home of the Brontes.

I've only watched the Frankenstein one so far and it's great, very interesting and factual, you've gotta love Robert Symes' presenting style :D
It is a great series. I think there is a Dan Cruikshank programme relating to Gothic architecture due to be broadcast. Last night they also showed Dracula (1958). Although the film is 56 years old it's still great to watch. Peter Cushing was an immense actor in his prime and up until recently Christopher Lee was still acting although I believe he is quite poorly now. (patterns of both #cough#. The film seems tame by modern standards but the music is outstanding as is the screaming which had the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end.

bBC4 is often overlooked but quite often they have some outstanding arts programming.
I do love BBC Four, I remember the Mark Gatiss presented 'History of Horror' and 'Horror Europa' series that they produced a few years a go; they were brilliant shows and got me into some new horror movies I'd never heard of. I think BBC 4 had a bit of a horror season last year too with some Hammer movies being shown or it might have been at Christmas come to think of it. That Dan Cruikshank programme is on tonight, just set it to record, cheers for heads up Nos :thumbsup:
The Art of Gothic which started last night is worth watching too.

I loved Robert Symes. His Cap'n Birds Eye looks and his gentle tone. He is the only person I have ever seen on TV wearing a Tweed jacket with a belt, apart from period drama shooting parties. A gentle soul and great presenter. im sure he did a series on steam trains or am I getting him confused with Fred Dibnar? Either way, I loved his pronunciation of Frankenstein.
nosferatu wrote:The Art of Gothic which started last night is worth watching too.

I loved Robert Symes. His Cap'n Birds Eye looks and his gentle tone. He is the only person I have ever seen on TV wearing a Tweed jacket with a belt, apart from period drama shooting parties. A gentle soul and great presenter. im sure he did a series on steam trains or am I getting him confused with Fred Dibnar? Either way, I loved his pronunciation of Frankenstein.
:lol: The tweed was ace, I thought he was hunting the monster! Being a model railway fan, Bob Symes is a bit of a legend, he has a massive model railway in his garden and used the landscaping as an opportunity to build himself a cool wine cellar :lol: He did a series of programmes on model railways in the 70's which can be found on YouTube if you're in to that.

Here he is showing off his garden railway, sorry to derail the topic... :lol:

Thanks for the heads up on the gothic literature collection SAM, i'll have to have a look sometime. I too am a fan of BBC4 and i'm always on the lookout in the lead up to halloween to see what they have in store. Horror Europa was repeated on sunday night so I watched it again for a reminder of what films still haven't watched. Les Diaboliques is one I keep meaning to get.
I watched The Art Of Gothic: Britain's Midnight Hour on Monday night. I'm supposed to be somehow related to Horace Walpole so it was nice to see him mentioned. I don't know if I'd recommend his book though. :) I enjoyed the programme, I missed tonight's about the family of architects but I'm sure they'll repeat it.

I'm forcing myself to watch the Spider House programme next week (28th I think). Ive enough of the eight legged creatures in my own house to deal with but it looks interesting so I'll give it a go.

On a non horror BBC4 note, have either of you been watching The Detectorists? It's written, directed and stars Mackenzie Crook. Toby Jones is in it too. It's a bittersweet comedy and i'm really enjoying it.

You've lost me at model railways i'm afraid so i'm off. :)