Binging bloody broadcasts, shocking shows and supernatural series.
By nosferatu
When I was a child I loved Dr Who. John Pertwee and Tom Baker were the doctors of my early childhood. I loved it, even though the effects were crude and the storylines were mediocre. Didn't really watch it after that until it's relaunch a few years ago. Caught the odd episode with Christopher Ecclestone, even less with David Tennant but watched a lot of the Matt Smith ones.

Too many of the episodes seem to be set in either Victorian or modern day London but the scripts were sharp although BBC budgets mean that the effects remain crude. I love the new Doctor, Peter Capaldi. He is a consummate actor, full of pathos and bite. I suppose he took the job to bolster his pension in the knowledge that in a few years when he has done doctoring, he will have a steady income through personal appearances and sci-fi conventions. The scripts suit him and I like the direction that the show has taken with an older doctor. Maybe being older myself has something to do with it. Either way, Saturday's episode was the best so far, Capaldi's acting more than made up for this week's crap alien. What was it again? a Botox Injector?

I watch it with my children like my parents did with me. There are problems of course. My daughter will constantly ask if X Factor is on yet and my son, having severe hearing loss, will crash and bang around so much that I watch it with subtitles on.

I would have loved to have seen it produced with an American sized budget. Maybe one day they'll make another film. Think the last one they did starred Peter Cushing.
By nosferatu
My wife reckons I like this Doctor because he is nearly as sarcastic as I am!
By paddy_babe
I struggled with the new Doctor, I think he lacks the empathy of 10 (David Tennant) and the whimsy of 11 (Matt Smith) but I am starting to warm up to him. He is more cynical and almost mean at times but there are moments of vulnerability like when he asks Clara "am I a good man?" (I didn't 'spoilers' it because it was on the Series 8 teaser trailer) or in Listen where we see him as a scared child I think Moffat is laying the groundwork for a big reveal or insight into the Doctor like when we found out the regeneration just before 9 (Christopher Eccleston) in The Day Of The Doctor the War Doctor or 8 and a half as we call him at home :lol: It is nice to have an older doctor (although whats this 'clara/older doctor' crap?? *sigh* ) and a bit of a darker Doctor. Also he is more focused and has some good comebacks. I predict that he is going to cross a line though and Clara is going to drag him over hot coals for it... I predicted this in the first episode when the Clara-Doctor dynamic changed, and then she slaps him (I think in the episode Into The Dalek) so perhaps a Companion/Doctor falling out?
By nosferatu
I heard that Clara dies (bear in mind that the source of this information was the same person who told me that the new doctor would definitely be a woman). I was told that she is torn between her life with the doctor and life with PE. She decides on PE, they marry and have a child but on the way home from the hospital they both die in a car accident but the baby survives. The doctor arrives too late to save Clara. He visits the woman in heaven who tells him bluntly that nothing can be done. He repeatedly travels back in time to avert the accident but he cannot change what is meant to be. Clara and PE end up "in heaven" with that woman and the doctor is literally left holding the baby. He becomes the baby's adopted grandfather and then travels forward in time and the grown up baby becomes his companion. Harking back to the days of William Hartnell.

It's probably a load of rubbish but it sounds convincing.
By paddy_babe
nosferatu wrote:I heard that Clara dies (bear in mind that the source of this information was the same person who told me that the new doctor would definitely be a woman). I was told that she is torn between her life with the doctor and life with PE. She decides on PE, they marry and have a child but on the way home from the hospital they both die in a car accident but the baby survives. The doctor arrives too late to save Clara. He visits the woman in heaven who tells him bluntly that nothing can be done. He repeatedly travels back in time to avert the accident but he cannot change what is meant to be. Clara and PE end up "in heaven" with that woman and the doctor is literally left holding the baby. He becomes the baby's adopted grandfather and then travels forward in time and the grown up baby becomes his companion. Harking back to the days of William Hartnell.

It's probably a load of rubbish but it sounds convincing.
woah I like the sounds of it though! I've also heard Clara leaves and they've introduced a love interest very early on so I think its true, its just the how. I can't see Moffat letting that much of the storyline leak (ignoring the last big Who leak! :? ) it is interesting though that they keep popping back to heaven but not giving much back story to it (reminds me of eye patch woman and Demon's Run, they hinted at that for ages before even starting to explain it). Also we can't forget in Listen that there was a descendant of Pink that Clara was led to by a possible 'family link' (although it can also be equally explained that she thought of P.E just before the TARDIS flew off, just like when she got distracted by the Doctor and went back to his childhood, there isn't a family link there I doubt Clara will die, since she spent a lot of last season dying and coming back (and the whole in-the-doctor's-time-stream-so-everywhere malarky) they've made it impossible for death to be final enough for Clara (kinda like Jack Harkness lol)
By nosferatu
Yeah, I said exactly the same but he told me that once the original Clara dies, all those other timestream Clara's die too. As she is leaving by "mutual consent", I don't think they are willing to give her an option to come back in the future, so the death sounds logical. That's why Dr Who goes to the "afterlife" place to plead for a shift in space and time. The Doctor's new assistant will be the girl "soldier" from the first episode as upon the death of PE, he realises that not all soldiers are as bad as he thinks.

When I asked him about the "afterlife" place, he says there is alot of secrecy about it and that it isn't as straight forward as it seems. Like I said, he is right about 50% of the time but it sounded plausable. It's probably a false trail put out by the BBC but I quite liked the synopsis.
By paddy_babe
wouldn't be the first time the BBC put out a false leak :P Who is your friend?! He is like a Whovian spy lol! If all this comes true the first thing I'm gonna do is log on and post here :lol: makes sense about original Clara, but (just theory to be difficult) maybe original Clara is a different one and this one we see is just rather good at staying alive longer than the others :P

I do like the idea of replacing Clara, I enjoyed the Dalek aspect and the 'keep popping up throughout time' mystery but the time-stream finish felt rushed and mashed together and there is only so much love/hate that they can do before it runs dry. Plus they keep hinting she fancied 11 and changed her mind now he is 12 that annoys me :thumbsdown: