Binging bloody broadcasts, shocking shows and supernatural series.
By vibhandaka
Halloween Wars has started on FOOD network. I have yet to watch it, but it's always fun. Teams compete to make Halloween themed cakes and cookies. It comes on Sunday nights I beleive. Does anyone else watch this?
By staticfurball
Haven't head of it but it sounds interesting , think I'll look it up.
By ghostface
I watched it the other day! Love it! Danielle Harris being guess judge made it even better :thumbsup: :wink:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I like this show, and I saw the first episode of this season. When it comes to competition shows, I love the ones where the contestants are making some sort of art (be it special effects makeup on Face Off or tattoos on Ink Master). Here, they're making sculptures with food... each team consists of a top cake decorator, pumpkin carver and candy craftsmen. And they make wild sculptures of scenes involving things like zombies and devils.

The aim of the show seem to be making the contestants sweat under the intense pressure of a time constraint, eventually resulting in unfinished projects, broken pieces, and contestants in tears. Producers who hunger for the thrill of dramatic television must giggle with glee when an overly stressed candy artist accidentally drops their sculpture on the floor, losing hours of work.

As many of you know, this show (and the Food Network Challenge: Extreme Pumpkins) both featured famed pumpkin sculptor Ray Villafane, who pretty much ran away with the contest on every season he appeared. His work was always at such a high level, the sculpts looked like something you'd expect to see in a movie or toy store. I hate to say it, but much of the art on the show now almost looks amateurish by comparison. But under that time pressure, it's impressive that the projects still get finished at all.

It's still very interesting to watch. And it's fun to see the guest judges, many of which are horror icons (in the past we've seen judges like Tom Savini and Rob Zombie). Last week the guest was Danielle Harris, which made me think of you, Ghostface. I said, "I hope he's watching this, his girlfriend is on TV." :P
By pagemaster1993
I just wish it wasn't on the same time as Making Monster on the Travel Channel.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Oh, do they air at the same time? I set my DVR to record both, and it can record more than one show at once. I don't even know when they actually air. If I had to pick one, I'd watching Making Monsters. Love that show. :frank:
By CorpseBride
I love this show, though I do have to agree with Ryan. Ray V changed the show and it is hard to even slightly compare to his amazing work in prior seasons.

What I would like to see is a show where the contestants DO NOT have a time limit and they are free to create their works say within a full day, week, etc. Now THAT would be epic! I hate the unecessary drama these shows create, its very frustrating. I just wish it would focus more on the art. Same goes with Face Off and Ink Master. Both shows I really enjoy and look forward to watching...but KILL THE DRAMA!

I love Making Monsters as well, I would give my right leg to have that "job."
By ghostface
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote: Last week the guest was Danielle Harris, which made me think of you, Ghostface. I said, "I hope he's watching this, his girlfriend is on TV." :P
You know me so well! :lol: :lol: :D
By BigScience
My wife and I are Food Network junkies so we have the DVR set on Halloween wars every year!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I managed to catch all the episodes of this for the 2013 season. Pretty fun stuff. But I just want to know... how is it possible that some team drops and smashes their sculpture on the ground during every challenge? Watching someone swing their arm and crash into a delicate sugar sculpture... watching someone sculpt something that is so obviously teetering on the edge of the table. It's almost like it's staged. :roll:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
zombombie, yeah a few years ago they asked me about appearing on their "Food Network Challenge: Extreme Pumpkins" specials. I would have been going up against Ray Villafane, who ended up winning of course. I didn't want to embarrass myself on national TV. :lol: Maaaaaybe with enough practice, I could sculpt something worthy. But it's not my specialty so I didn't think I had what they were looking for. Plus, I like to take my time when I make my art. These shows give you a time limit and do everything they can to stress you out.
By monstermash
I watched parts of episode or two when it was on at the weekend for us Brits. It would have probably been one from a couple of years back but new to me. While I did admire and appreciate the artists there was far too much of that fake drama crap in it and in so many shows theses days. I couldn't be bothered with it, i'd just tune in every ten mins or so when they might have finished a challenge to have a gander at what they created. Sorry telly executives but you can keep your staged drama Lizard Licking, Halloween Warring, Duck Dynastying, American Digging, Baggage Battling, Paranormal Investigating Desperate Housewiving X-factoring garbage. Phew!
By vibhandaka
This started last night! Is anyone watching this year?