Binging bloody broadcasts, shocking shows and supernatural series.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Have you heard that MTV has greenlit a TV pilot based on the Scream film series? They're in discussions with various writers to pen the script, and apparently they are also in negotiations with franchise creator Wes Craven to direct the pilot. If all goes according to plan, the network is eyeing a Summer 2014 premiere for the show. Craven responded on Twitter...
Wes Craven wrote:A lot of you have asked about the Scream TV series. It's true I've been approached. My response was, it would depend on the script. If they have a great script/concept, it could be fun. If not, not.

What do you think? I'm not so sure this works as a weekly series. The original Scream had this great "meta" self-referential concept, while also being a clever who-dun-it. The idea wore thinner with each sequel (although I thought part 4 was a great return to form). So how would this work as a weekly series? Would a group of teenage friends get picked off one by own with each episode, with the killer revealed at the end of the season/series? Or would there be new killers every week? Would they all dress as Ghostface? How far could it go?

Seems there's a trend of taking these genre movies and turning them into TV shows. MTV already brought Teen Wolf to the small screen. More recently we've gotten chilling dramas from the Hannibal and Bates Motel franchises.
By ghostface
I did indeed see this.. Not sure how I feel about it. Scream is my all time favorite horror movie. If they do go through with it they better do the original justice.
By pagemaster1993
It all depends on how it is done. The movie (the ones I saw) were good. Now if they can translate that to the small screen I think it would work. Also let us not forget about what happened when A Nightmare On Elm Street hit the small screen with Freddy's Nightmares and A Nightmare On Elm Street: Real Nightmares. One being a anthology show and the other a game show, with Freddy being the host of both. I personally haven't seen either, but I heard mixed reviews.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
The formula for the Scream movies usually involves the killer being revealed at the end, at which point we realize they had some personal connection to the main cast, and then often this villain is killed off. How many times could this be repeated in a serialized TV show?

Is there a whole network of killers who all use the same mask? If so, how can the writers make the murderers still feel personally connected to the main cast we care about? The first time someone you know confesses to being a killer it can be shocking. But it could become silly if that happened all the time, for many seasons of a show.

That's one of the tricky things about Scream. Every time they make a new movie they have to think of another clever motive for someone new to become the next copycat of the Ghostface killer. With a villain like Freddy it's easier because he's basically a supernatural monster who can keep coming back. Harder to justify each consecutive new Ghostface.
By Kayo
im interested if anyone watched. i know one of the actors so i did and the new mask is actually really creepy. thoughts?
By ghostface
zombombie wrote:Just finished watching Scream the show and found it to be much better than I was expecting!

It had echoes of the movie, and a little sprinkling of I Know What You Did Last Summer thrown in, but I enjoyed it overall!
I really enjoyed the show! It took some risks, but in the end, they paid off quite well!