Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By Gigagig
I dont exactly like scary movies but I like the animated movies of halloween. They are so fun to watch :roll:

I do like The legend of sleepy hallow with Johny Deep in it. It is an very good movie and I like it a lot. I also like Tiim Burtons movies

Gigagig

PS Come On you know you want to respond. :roll:
By Kittie
As funny as it is, I don't like scary movies either.
By balsak40
Love them... Can't get enough of it. My wife on the other hand hates them.

She took me to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2004) and she saw about 15mins of it. The rest of the time was hiding in her jacket. Why does she put up with me? :D

I saw Hills have eyes on DVD over the weekend and that one is very intense. She couldn't handle it. Too realistic for her.
By Black Mage
Gigagig wrote:I do like The legend of sleepy hallow with Johny Deep in it. It is an very good movie and I like it a lot. I also like Tiim Burtons movies
Though I do enjoy Sleepy Hollow, I can't say that it is in any way scary, and this coming from a guy who doesn't like horror. It's a fun movie, but not what I'd call a great movie.
By texmaster
I saw Mimic and Seven.

Nothing scares me anymore.

With the possible exception of hearing a shrill female voice in the house yell "come in here and listen to the day I had!"

:D
By Liderc
If you want to see a scary movie, go rent a movie called Fire in the Sky. It's an alien movie but scary as hell, atleast it was scary when I was young. It's about the only movie I recall being scared out of my mind after seeing it. The Saw movies are decent for a thrill, but not very scary. Texas chain saw the begining looks pretty scary, but I haven't seen the other ones so I wouldn't know of the quality. Ok im done =P
By Aylortay
Fire in the sky isn't very scary... I saw it about a year ago. Thought it was pretty boring really. The only parts that are really "scary" are in the last 10 minutes or so, and even those are just a tad creepy.

Just my opinion though

I found the Grudge pretty freaking scary
By balsak40
The Ring got me at the end... Not because of the movie because what happened at the end of it.. I got a phone call right after watching it and I got dead silence.... Scared the crap out of me but it was just my wife trying to talk to someone else while on the phone covering the receiver.

I haven't seen anything scary though recently...

Poltergeist comes close but I was only 9 when that came out and that tree scared the crap out me. and that damn clown!!!! :lol:
By Liderc
Agreed, forgot about the Ring, definitely was sketched when I saw the ring, those crazy ass faces were what got me.

oh and the grudge sux
By matspud
I am another one who doesn't really like scary movies. I love the idea of them but just can't handle the actual thing any more ( I loved them when I was younger and still living with my parents but quickly went off them when I went out on my own :oops: )
Mind you I thought the Frigteners was quite scary so I must be a real wimp. :D :D
By Gigagig
The main reason I dont like them is just because there scary. I mean what is the point of them :o As I see it now Hollywood is making a lot more scary movies than they did back in the day :P Thats just my opinion. I haven't seen very many of them anyways. i like movies with more action and adventure not scary things. I still think theres no point in watching a movie thats going to make you jump out of your pants durring night :|
By balsak40
Gigagig wrote:The main reason I dont like them is just because there scary. I mean what is the point of them :o As I see it now Hollywood is making a lot more scary movies than they did back in the day :P Thats just my opinion. I haven't seen very many of them anyways. i like movies with more action and adventure not scary things. I still think theres no point in watching a movie thats going to make you jump out of your pants durring night :|
I think the reason why the "scary" movies are out there is because they are so gosh darn cheap to make. Example.

Resident Evil... 15million to make
Grossed 21million at the box office
Add another 10 million or so for DVD Sales and Rentals!

You add it up... It makes money. You don't have to pay gobs of money for talent when you have a descent story, creepy effects and tolerable directing. Horror Flicks makes the cash. Texas Chainsaw: The Beginning made 21.7 mill first week! Already a success.

Except for anything directed by Uwe boll, he breaks the system. Check out House of the Dead, BloodRayne and Alone in the Dark. All bad. He's now going to direct BloodRayne 2 and Dunegon Siege. Blah....

Can you tell I like Horror Flicks?

Also the big theme lately is Japanese Horror. The Grudge and The Ring all Japan Imports. Lots of good stories come out from the land of the rising sun.

Another thing to look for is the Blending of Action/Adventure with Horror. Hostel, Saw, and Devil's Rejects all have some type of creepy theme with Action and Suspence going on.

"Man I should shut up".... :D
By Liderc
Well scary movies are made to generate the natural high you receive when in danger. Since we rarely receive enough fear anymore because our lives are so 'safe' we have suppressed the 'scared' feeling, so when you go to see a movie that frightens you, you actually get stimulated by it aka 'get high'.

That's why when your at a scary movie your heart races, you may sweat, blood rushes to your limbs, your adrenal glandes begin producing adrenaline, allowing you defend your self as if you were in actual danger.

I'm not a huge scary movie fan if your wondering, I'm just in current study at college on the human body and how it's evolved.

In actuality, scary movies are made to make profit as said earlier, but the reason we as humans enjoy them so much is because of the above information.

Also, you'll notice that women tend to 'jump' more at scary films(I've read a study on this and no I'm not sexist), this is because it was mans job to hunt back when we were nomadic creatures, fighting for our lives was a day to day thing, being in defensive mode was a normality therefore we became more stable during frightening states.

Now to save my ass from all the women on the forum, You guys got us beat like a red headed step child because you can give birth. Men, never could, ever=P.
By Joey
Liderc wrote:You guys got us beat like a red headed step child because you can give birth. Men, never could, ever=P.
You obviously haven't been reading the mpreg fanfiction out there. :D

I'm not a big horror movie fan myself. They don't really scare me that much. I don't dislike them, I just don't tend to go out of my way to see them.

And really, horror movies are hard to get into when you've got a kitten attacking you.
By Steve-o
I thought I'd be alone here with not liking scary movies. Didn't like 'em much when I was younger either. I did watch Shaun of the Dead and even though it was kinda funny, it still creeped me out. Watching it from 12-2 am didn't help that much. :)

I like the action/adventures and comedies. The "based on a true story" movies are pretty cool, too. Just watched "V for Vendetta" this weekend and THAT was a cool movie! Good message no matter what your political views are: No government should be given too much power.