Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Having recently watch Corpse Bride again, I was thinking about how rare stop motion animation is these days. It's nice to see Burton working on yet other film in this format. He gets it. It's interesting to see the art style on these characters. The look more hand drawn. Perhaps even more like Burton's drawings than even Nightmare or Corpse Bride were. Can't wait.
By keifferone
This looks amazing. Can't wait to see it.
By Tkaraoke
This is going to be awesome!
By nosferatu
I'm hoping that when eventually released on DVD that they have some behind the scenes documentary footage. Director's commentary is great but I am interested in the process.

I watched the original on youtube some time ago and was impressed with that and although better production values doesn't necessarily mean a better film, in this case I think it will.

Next year looks like being a good one for Tim Burton. Frankenweenie, ZP pattern of him and Barnabas Collins. (Incidentally, Alice Cooper appears in the film as himself.)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I'm fascinated with the stop motion technique, and the process that does into designing and shooting a movie like this. Anyone watch the DVD extras on the Corpse Bride disc? Amazing artistry and engineering inside those little puppets. They have all these tiny gears in their heads so they can be made to do different expressions with a turn of a screw.
By nosferatu
My version of Corpse Bride doesn't have that unfortunately.I'll have to buy a new copy.

Over here, kids tv featured Morph who was a simple plasticine charachter filmed in this way. Of course there was also Wallace & Gromit.

I love this sketch from The Fast Show about stop motion animation

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By ghostface
This is awesome! I love Tim Burton movies, can't wait to see this 1! Thanks for sharing!
By ghostface
Hey now that we have pics of the new Frankenweenie maybe we could introduce him as a last minute pattern!? :D
By monstermash
I grew up watching Aardman animations which I adored. Same goes for Wallace and Gromit. The painstakingly slow process just shows the creators love and enthusiam for their art. It definately pays off.
I dont know if its classed as a stop motion animation but I loved this animation as a child. Its really old (1930's I think). Its called "The Mascot" by Ladislas Starevitch. Some great little characters in it including a wicked devil.
Really looking forward to the next offerings from Mr. Burton.
By keifferone
Looks so sweet! Can't wait. Thanks for posting this.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I'm sold. It will be great to see a release from from Tim Burton that is based on his own story (as opposed to existing properties like Alice, Planet of the Apes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc).

Burton actually served as writer, director and producer for the upcoming Frankenweenie. He hasn't taken on all three of those roles for a movie since 1990's Edward Scissorhands. So this tale of boy and his dog is Burton's baby, and hopefully on par with the magic of Scissorhands and Beetlejuice.

The visual style looks good. I like that it has a slightly rougher, handmade esthetic (compared to Corpse Bride) both in the construction of the models and the animation smoothness. And the choice to make it black and white is bold. A true tribute to the Universal and Hammer horror of yesteryear.

And a good movie outing to treat yourself to during October's Halloween season.