Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By CorpseBride
We knew it would happen sooner or later...video rental stores are closing down all around. Blockbuster is done now too...sad really. I hate to see it shut down knowing the cause is internet piracy and online internet rivals. But it is the way of the future whether we like it or not. Knowing that is the way saddens me a little bit...I enjoy taking my son to the video store to pick out a movie and our treats rather than browsing the selection online or (sshhh i'm guilty) "borrowing" from someone else online that happened to post their file to a site to share. (eek!)

Anywho due to the bankruptcy all movies are on clearance, and I did pick up some real winners that I have been wanting to get on DVD (previously had them on VHS or they were *ahem* borrowed) or new titles I have been wanting. I picked up:

Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Halloween II
Dexter - Seasons 3 & 4
Amityville Horror (the original)
The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)
Poltergeist
28 Days Later

How do you say JACKPOT! I got these titles at a steal of a price.
By blueikaos
Great find!

I'll have to keep an eye on the blockbuster near me.

I'm quite fond of the RedBox kiosks myself.($1 rentals)
By Raven
They shut down my local Blockbuster last year sometime. We also had a Hollywood Video which went out long before that. I really liked going to the video store. I tend to sometimes forget some things I want to see and only remember when I would see them sitting on the shelf. Then there was those movies I have never even heard of, but because of an interesting cover I would pick it up.

I went with Netflix shortly after my Bockbuster shut down. It wasn't long after that Netflix raised their prices. Seemed a little suspicious, like they waited till they were sure they crushed the giant before raising prices..but they wouldn't do that, right? :roll:

Red Box seems pretty great, but if you want an older more obscure movie you probably wont find it. Where I live there is not one at a convenient location. If there was a box on the way to work or something it wouldn't be bad, but it's not worth making a special trip to drop off a movie the next day. Often times our schedules change so rapidly we end up not having the time to watch a movie when we started the day thinking we could so that dollar a day rental could end up being very expensive.

One day I will be able to tell my nephews about the days we had huge stores filled with movies and games you could rent. They will think I'm crazy, as usual. :wink:
By CorpseBride
RavensDestiny wrote:...
One day I will be able to tell my nephews about the days we had huge stores filled with movies and games you could rent...
We will be that old person some day....I used to have to walk uphill both ways in my Dad's pajamas just to rent a movie out of a store.... :lol:
By staticfurball
the Block busters closed down last year near my house and 1 of the 2 Videotron is closing now and having a sale. It is sad though, sometimes its the little trips to the video store that make the movie experience fun for the kids. They get to pick a movie themn come home and make popcorn.
By monstermash
staticfurball wrote:the Block busters closed down last year near my house and 1 of the 2 Videotron is closing now and having a sale. It is sad though, sometimes its the little trips to the video store that make the movie experience fun for the kids. They get to pick a movie themn come home and make popcorn.
Thats definately the case for me. We haven't had a video shop in your village for over ten years now. My mum used to get so bored with us taking ages and ages to pick a video. I loved it. The memories of me and my brother giggling at the cover of "Melon Man" on the top shelf (can you imagine!).
The walk there used to take us down a little street called Paradise Lane where about 150 years ago the sailors would go looking for a bit of fun :wink: . Somebody, goodness know when, carved a little face into a stone wall. You could fit money into its mouth, so we'd ckeck it everytime we went past and take the money if there was any. In hindsight, I think my mum probably put it there for us to find but at the time it was like finding treasure. We'd also look to see how many cats we could find on the way, we were always cat spotting. All those wonderful memories, thanks to one simple, small video shop. I'll never forget it. :)
By staticfurball
Sadly more and more wonderful things arecoming to and end. My local music shop is almose diserted as well, mose people get their music online. And aside from a few little shops there wasnt too many home grown family stores any more either due to all the one stop chains out there. Thankfully in my town there has been a slew of new shops opening to promote local buisness. We have a new cheese sho(I love it!!) and a few new bakeries and we still have our family run toy shop which has a lot more specialty items than the large chains. They actually have a small plastic "Bates" house thayt lights up!! not something i would find at Wal Mart for sure.
Im still hoping the other Videotron lasts a few more years.
By CorpseBride
staticfurball wrote:...They actually have a small plastic "Bates" house thayt lights up!! ...
Ok so how can I purchase this house? Do you know where they got it?!?
By Raven
CorpseBride wrote:
staticfurball wrote:...They actually have a small plastic "Bates" house thayt lights up!! ...
They have a light up model kit of the Bates mansion here.. http://www.nightmarecollectibles.net/it ... d=11398263

I've always wanted it.
By CorpseBride
RavensDestiny wrote:
CorpseBride wrote:
They have a light up model kit of the Bates mansion here.. http://www.nightmarecollectibles.net/it ... d=11398263

I've always wanted it.
Wow! That thrills the Horror Nut and the Craft Nut inside me. I am pretty sure I need this. :D
By staticfurball
Im not sure if its the same one because the box was color and not black and white but it looks pretty much te same other than that. Its so neat I want to get it. It's about 20-30$ if I remember right.