Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
I recently got a HD TV (and HD cable) which was eventually followed by a Blu-ray player. Looking for my first HD dvd experience, I came across two titles (Ghostbusters and The Lost Boys) that I haven't owned on standard definition. I went with Ghostbusters and even though the special effects looked a little wonky in places, the picture was just phenomenal. It made it almost look like a brand new movie and seeing it in widescreen blew me away because I got to see parts of the movie that have seen since I saw it in theaters years ago. One scene that rocked my world was when Egon was explaining that he was terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought and you see all four Ghostbusters standing on a ledge looking down on Stay Puft. You'll never see that scene on the old "Pan & Scan" versions of the movie.

CLICK THE IMAGE TO SEE THE COMPLETE SCEENE
By Tkaraoke
I'm not holding my breath but I think they could do a really good job as long as they get a decent script. I'm ready to bust a few more ghosts!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Welcome to the HD realm, Tkaraoke. Maybe I've mentioned it before, but Ghostbusters is the first bluray I bought (before I even had the bluray player). Great choice. The picture looks so crisp, and the disc is packed with lots of extras too.

What's funny about the picture you posted... the forum crops oversized images until you click them. So you basically get to recreate the pan-and-scan look of just Stay Puft, and then the widescreen reveal of the 4 busters on the side.

Ghostbusters takes full advantage of it's widescreen ratio, with many shots of the 4 guys side by side (which is cropped to show only 2 of them on the pan-and-scan versions). Or wide shots of the ghostbusters firing their proton beams sideways across the screen at a spirit that is flying around. It's a shame with these cool shots are cropped.

One scene that always used to frustrate me when I saw Ghostbusters on TV was the music montage scene that shows the ghostbusters becoming more famous. The shots show the guys successfully busting ghosts on one side, and mock newspaper/magazine headlines on the other side. And when you crop this for a narrow ratio, it's so obvious that you're missing most of what's on the other side.

Also... "Blu-ray(Stanz)" Clever. :wink:
By Tkaraoke
When I uploaded the picture I almost went to re-size it until I realized it kind of created the effect I was looking for! Damn, I'm good! LOL!

Not seeing the whole shot has always put me off on watching movies on TV and for some reason some movies have never been released in widescreen format on disc until the arrival of Blu-ray. The one I'm waiting to go on sale is "Full Metal Jacket". I've always wanted to buy that one but only standard screen versions we available and I wasn't going to have that.

BTW: I watched "The Lost Boys" as well. The picture was great but what blew me away was David's makup (close ups) which made me wonder if they did some digital tinkering with it. If not, props to the guys who did the makup for the film because it was awesome and still scary as hell!
By Ajax
I always upsized it to fit the whole screen. I know i'm losing some of the picture but 55 inches of all screen is to hard to pass up.
By zombombie
So Ghostbusters is getting a limited run from today in some US cinemas (You can get listings on the Ghostbusters Facebook page). Anyone going to see it? I think it's coming to a cinema here for the weekend of Halloween and I'll definitely be there! I've never seen Ghostbusters on the big screen so I can't wait :D
By CombichristGirl
dangit they are playing it here today i just took my nephew to the same theater yesterday :lol:
if i didnt have to buy drill bits i might go :/ oh well sometime i'll just get a blu ray :lol: :lol:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I'd love to see this in the theater. If I don't get a chance to do so, I'll just watch it on my projector... again. :)
By Lala
(sort of off the main thread here) but We went to see Ghostbusters on the 13th in our local theater and it was amazing - it was completely different than watching it on the tv. I wish I could go again!