Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I'm not usually a fan of my favorite horror classics being remade. In this case, I'm kinda okay with it, since this isn't technically a remake, it's supposed to be a prequel.

Remember in the 1982 John Carpenter version, when the movie opens with a Norwegian helicopter chasing and shooting at a dog (which is headed to the American camp with Kurt Russell's crew, to start a whole lot of trouble). And later in the movie, the American camp discovers that the Norwegian team had unearthed something from the ice.

Haven't you ever wondered what that first science team took from the ice, and how the "thing" made it's first attacks and eventual escape in the form of that dog? Well this movie will show us!

"Paleontologist Kate Lloyd (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) has traveled to the desolate region for the expedition of her lifetime. Joining a Norwegian scientific team that has stumbled across an extraterrestrial ship buried in the ice, she discovers an organism that seems to have died in the crash eons ago. But it is about to wake up."

So while the movie does have a good excuse to exist - explaining events only hinted at in the previous movie - I will admit that the trailer makes it look like it will have a pretty similar plot (the whole paranoia involved with not knowing who might be an alien), so in a lot of ways it might feel like a remake.

Plus, it doesn't help that they just called the movie the same thing! THE THING. Just confuses matters more. Although, I'm not sure what else they could have called it really.

And it's interesting that I keep thinking of the 1982 movie as "the original" but technically, even that one was a remake of the "The Thing from Another World" (1951)
By Grave Digger
It looks okay to me, but I do prefer the original one. ;)
By Grave Digger
Edinburghzombie wrote:I heard it was going to be a prequel but because of how similar it looks I just don't know. I Just want Hollywood to get some new ideas, and not just on the horror front!
Prequel? Ok, I'll see when it comes out anytime. ;)
By monstermash
It does look a lot like a tweeked remake to me. Meh, might take a look.
By staticfurball
I just saw the trailer it looks pretty good but they should have change the title a bit. I will always prefer the original though. Its just something about remakes, for me they take a lot of getting used to.

I will have to see the thing from another world now of course, since what I thought was the original was actually another remake. lol
By ghostface
I've ALWAYS prefered originals but this looks pretty good. :)