Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By Hottie McNaughty
We went to go see this Sunday night and I really enjoyed it. The kids are all really good actors. The little pyro kid was hilarious. It definitely had some nods towards Poltergeist and Close Encounters Of The Third Kind. The name of the chemical company in the movie the kids are making is Romero Chemicals. :lol:

Perhaps a bit predictable but entertaining none the less! I like a good monster movie and this one didn't disappoint.
By monstermash
Saw this tonight and loved it. I agree with you Hottie about Close Encounters. I also felt a touch of Goonies and a E.T. For me Super 8 is up there with those films, it had a wonderful 70's, early 80's film feel. Great script, actors, pace, special effects. I was totally drawn in and didn't feel bored at all. I can't recommend this enough. 10 out of 10, and I usually don't go for this type of flick.

Anyone else seen it?

Oh, the film the kids make in the film is on during the ending credits so make sure you wait and see it.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I got to see Super 8 in the theater, and agree with what you all said. The comparisons to other 70s-80s era movies with casts of kids are spot on. It certainly had that vibe, which makes it feel like an instant classic, even though it was made recently.

When the kids stumble onto this government cover-up of mysterious happenings... I had an idea what it was all about, but there were still enough surprises to keep me interested. Follows a classic formula, but without getting boring.

And as a fan of movies and horror/fantasy, I appreciated that it paid tribute to those things. As Hottie mentioned, the kids' use of the "Romero" name in their film project (not to mention the Dawn of the Dead poster on the kid's wall). It was also fun to see him painting a monster model kit. I believe those become quite popular in the 60s (after the boom of the Universal Monster movies) so I can see a kid in the 70s being into that sort of thing.

Anyway, good flick. Look forward to picking up the bluray eventually.
By GUS
Yes we did love those things in the 1970's :) ..model kits were so expensive, & remain to be so, fantastic fun though.
kids today miss out on the sheer pleasure & anguish of those!

Looking forward to Super 8 over here, hopefully Izzy'll be able to come & watch if it's A parental guidance??
By Ajax
I would say it's Kid appropriate 10 and up maybe even 8 and up depending on maturity. Theres some curse words if i recall but its mostly like you would have heard in goonies. I didn't find it that scary but some kids might be a little scared really depends on the child. I think if you've exposed them to ET, Goonies, or anything like that they would probably be fine.
By Hottie McNaughty
It has some salty language and potentially scary/suspenseful scenes but I thought it had a very kid friendly ending.

It's weird the things that kids will be scared of. For some reason the image of the little kid crawling out through the doggie door in Close Encounters gave me nightmares when I was little and saw it.
By GUS
Salty language, "meh"
Izzy is aware it's only stupid adults (like her dad) who swear, she's allowed to as long as it's in context but doesn't like swearing at all.