Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By paddy_babe
Does anyone think that as society is used to blood, gore and killing that they add rape/ torture scenes in because the murders etc have lost impact?

I dont like those types of movies either.... that and evil ghost type ones (the grudge for example).
By blueikaos
paddy- I think most horror movies have just lost their touch that they try to add anything to make them better.

I dont need blood, gore and mass murders to scare me.
What about Psycho? They barely showed anything and it was creepy.
Or any of the old Hitchcock movies for that matter.
I took a Hitchcock class in college and LOVED his movies. Vertigo, Rear Window. There is nothing that compares to those today.
By paddy_babe
To be honest I'm not a horror fan so I cant say I've seen them, but I agree, it was not seeing but knowing what was happening that was freaky... its the unknown in this world that scares us... and our imaginations always come up with something better than any movie could do... thats why books are usually better than the movies! :lol:
By Ajax
Does anyone watch a Haunting on Discovery that show creeps me right out i can't watch it anymore because i usually can't sleep for two or three days afterwards. It doesn't creep me out while i watch it but it's after when i think about it or as i lay awake a night with my gf asleep beside in pitch black thinking about ghosts etc walking around my house pulling off my sheets watching me. That is one freaky show. Ghosthunters is another good one but that doesn't really scare me.
By paddy_babe
is that like 'most haunted' but better? lol
If so I cant watch them, freaks me out too!
By blueikaos
Haunting/Ghost Hunters/Taps

I dont get ANY of these shows anymore :(

They took the cable away at home and I guess upgraded to HD- and you need a certain kind of box for it...which my parents refuse to get.
By Ajax
I'm not sure i've never seen most haunted. This is one where they reenact real life hauntings like the haunting in connecticut, amityville horror etc. It's so freaky. I am convinced after watching it that my own apartment is haunted, freaks me right out.
By Ajax
Ghosthunters is one where they actually investigate real hauntings. It is pretty cool because sometimes they do find evidence that is pretty scary. Moving objects, voices, images on heat sensors etc. That one i can usually watch without it bothering me to much afterwards.
By paddy_babe
the fact finding ones are grand for me but the seance, looking for ghosts and bugging them freaks me out..
most haunted was basically a team going into a haunted location and with a psyic (sp) they'd contact ghosts... I didnt like it as there was never a time it didnt work at all.... I felt like it was fabricated.

there was one that they caught on camera and it was FREAKY! also in the same room you see something getting thrown from a corner and you can clearly see no one is there... I suppose even frauds get lucky :lol:
By monstermash
Paddy_babe, i agree with you, i think sometimes it might be set up on most haunted. There was only one that freaked me out when a guy in the team was by himself in a tunnel and he said hello and a minute later a really creepy old mans voice said hello back. That one scared the crap out of me!!
By blueikaos
I find it hard to believe those shows, even though they do have a creepy aura about them.

Most of it is set in the dark...anyone could be out there staging things for the camera. haha.

Either way, it still keeps my interest....Set up or not.
By paddy_babe
dont know if anyone saw this most haunted but it cracks me up!

he probs had to pull a name out of the blue but really should have thought ahead! :lol:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I've never walked out on a movie I paid to see in a theater. I've almost fallen asleep on a couple though. The pace of George Clooney's "Solaris" had me nodding off.

As for rentals though, there have been a few I had a hard time sitting all the way through. One was "Effects." Supposed to be a cult favorite with the always cool Tom Savini. But for me it was boring and lacking suspense.

Another was "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes." Although the first year of this site was partly inspired by that movie (in title at least) the humor in Killer Tomatoes was too corny for my tastes.
By monstermash
Haha Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!!!! I feel the same Ryan, the comedy is too corny but the rolling, gurgling tomatoes has got to be a classic. TO-MA-TOES.....AHHHHH!!!
Ive never left a cinema but there are films ive seen on tv/dvd that ive turned off. Blair Witch was one, the shaking camera got on my nerves. I can't say i cared for Gothika either.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
A lot of people seem to have trouble with the shaky camera of Blair Witch and Cloverfield. I had no issue with that. Interestingly, I do get motion sick in cars and rollercoasters.