Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By Mistress_of_Halloween
I can honestly say that I'm not a big fan of the new horror movies that are all about the gore and mutilation. I like my horror to leave a little to the imagination as we all know that nothing is scarier than what we can create in our imagination.
Last edited by Mistress_of_Halloween on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
By nosferatu
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who does see it.

I love being scared and I accept, enjoy and in some truly wonderful cases, love horror films because at the end of the day I know that they are not real. Unfortunate in the case of Zombieland as that looks like a fun place to be, However, when I watch horror films I don't want to be horrified per se. I have rolling news coverage for that.

Mistress is right, that our imagination can be the scariest place to live.

From the description, I have to say it doesn't appeal at all. The chances are that had the BBFC just given it an 18 certificate, it would have had a few art house showings, gone straight to dvd and developed an abstract cult following. Now, it has had a huge, free publicity campaign and is actually already available to buy at car boot sales.
By maegnus
Speaking of intense horror flicks that are hard to find, has anyone here heard of or seen Paranormal Activity? From the reviews I have read, it is apparently one of the scariest movies ever made.

It looks akin to The Blair Witch Project, which is one of my favourite movies (and probably the only one to really instill a sense of fear in me). The nighttime bedroom scenes are supposedly bad enough to make you physically cover your eyes.

It was released in film festivals in 2007 (I think), and Paramount then snatched up the rights to it, so that they could make it into a Hollywood film (boo-urns). That said, I hear that it is supposed to be coming out in limited screenings in mid September at indie cinemas. There are a few reviews out there, but it is mostly impossible to find any info on this movie (or if it even exists).

Here is a link to the official site, which appears to have a broken trailer:

http://paranormalactivity-movie.com/patrailer.html
By Mistress_of_Halloween
nosferatu wrote:The chances are that had the BBFC just given it an 18 certificate, it would have had a few art house showings, gone straight to dvd and developed an abstract cult following. Now, it has had a huge, free publicity campaign and is actually already available to buy at car boot sales.
I agree the one thing that can always be guaranteed to draw attention to something is to try to ban it. Look at any movie that anyone ends up speaking out against, it just makes paople all the more curious to see them.
By biggbad808
Just seen the trailer for Paranormal Activity on Bloody disgusting.com and it looks fantastic. I love these handi cam movies, i feel it really adds to the atmosphere of certain films. There is a showing in a week in Ann Arbor, and i might make the trip to see it. Otherwise dreamworks does have the rights to the film, and was looking to remake it, however after all the glowing reviews for it by those that have seen it they are rethinking the remake and possibly releasing it as is. If so the indie small films usually get a release in the beginning months of the new year. So keep a look out, if there is enough word of mouth they will do a limited release in theatres. Until then, its going to be strictly art house and straight to dvd for this creeper.
By CombichristGirl
so i literally just got done watching this... it is a very twisted movie lol some very very horrifying scenes
By paddy_babe
I didnt even watch the trailer, just seems sick.

I remember going round a friends house and there was a dvd 'the face of death' I think and it basically had footage of people commiting sucide, a man on death row getting electricuted, dead bodies from war and crashes etc. Me and my friends watched it as it said "banned in (insert double figure number here) countries"

some of the stuff was bad but I think because it was so old it had lost its effect.... maybe one day that movie will be the same *pauses to ponder*
By nosferatu
Certain scenes can leave a lasting impression. I remember at school learning about the Second World War and some Holocaust survivors were invited to the school. They gave a small lecture that was harrowing enough but we then watched a documentary about Belsen. The image of a bulldozer pushing hundreds of emaciated corpses towards a huge grave has stayed with me ever since. Some documentaries about worn torn Yugoslavia were equally upsetting. In a news context I can accept it.

Horror generally is acceptable because at the end of the day you know its not real. When it starts to cross the line between fact and fiction and the distinction between them becomes blurred is when I stop watching. There's enough actual horror in the news every day, I don't want it for entertainment too
By CombichristGirl
omg i love the faces of death series to bad the doc host is dead now. they should do some sort of remake or something of it
By purple1worm
Mistress_of_Halloween wrote:I can honestly say that I'm not a big fan of the new horror movies that are all about the gore and mutilation. I like my horror to leave a little to the imagination as we all know that nothing is scarier than what we can create in our imagination.
I agree. I like thrillers with some hack and slash, but i'm not into outright torture. A little left for the imagination is best for me.
By CombichristGirl
i gotta go with both lol it depends on my mood but it would be better with imagination :)
thats why im a huge fan of blair witch. being lost in the woods and hearing and seeing messed up stuff... how could that not be scary
By paddy_babe
CombichristGirl wrote:i gotta go with both lol it depends on my mood but it would be better with imagination :)
thats why im a huge fan of blair witch. being lost in the woods and hearing and seeing messed up stuff... how could that not be scary
have you watched 'shrooms'? you'd like that I think.
By CombichristGirl
omg i have and i do its so funny when the cow says ur f'ed lol
HIGH TENSION was also good like that
By paddy_babe
I havent watched high tension, will have a look. all my friends gave me stick about shrooms as it was based in ireland! the paddy jokes were flowing! :lol: