Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I remember hearing talk about a Beetlejuice sequel years ago, and apparently Michael Keaton was more than willing to reprise the title role. At that time (and still now) I think it could work. I just hope it would be a true sequel, and not a remake/reboot.

Sequels to older movies can be tough to pull off (since the cast has aged) but with Beetlejuice it wouldn't matter so much. Under the makeup, Michael Keaton shouldn't look that different. Even if he did, you could explain that away with the fact that he's a magical ghost, and could appear any way he pleases.

I think it would be tougher to explain how Adam and Barbara Maitland (Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis) have aged, since they are normal, human-looking ghosts. Their story was told, I don't think a sequel would need them.

An appearance by Winona Ryder as Lydia might be fun, but overall I don't think we need to see the Deetz family back either. Sequels often trip up by trying to shoehorn every familiar character into a new plot where they're not really needed.

Beetlejuice is a mischievous ghost, selling his services as a bio-exorcist. The options for storylines are limitless. So I think a sequel would be best with BJ getting involved in an all new adventure with new supporting characters.

I'd love to see Tim Burton directing and Danny Elfman doing the score would be ideal, to give it the same vibe. And practical effects, not too much CGI. That would be my wishlist for a sequel.
By monstermash
Hmm, yeah I dont know about a sequel. Beetlejuice is one of my all time favourite films. It wouldn't be right if Tim Burton didn't have any influence on it. If they listen to Ryans ideas I might check it out. Michael Keaton IS beetlejuice, no one else could play him, not even Johnny Depp!
News of a Beetlejuice 2 seems to make the rounds every few years. Sounds like this is the closest we've been to seeing it become reality. For some reason, I'm not bothered by the idea of a sequel to Beetlejuice. I won't pretend that a part 2 would match the original, of course. But Beetlejuice is such an oddball supernatural character, so there's really no limit to the stories that could be told. The Maitlands (Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin) have found peace in their afterlife, so their story is likely complete. But there's no reason BJ couldn't help some other ghostly newcomers to the afterlife netherworld. If there's any returning character that would want to tag along for the adventures, it would be the gothy Lydia. I'd welcome back Wynona Rider, reuniting with Tim Burton after also working together on Edward Scissorhands and Frankenweenie. And the man himself, Michael Keaton, seems excited to return. People loved him in Birdman. Let him climb back into the striped suit, I say! Especially if Burton will direct.
Super stoked to hear this is coming to fruition! Keaton has always been excellent, and his performance as Beetlejuice still holds up today! He was phenomenal in Birdman, btw. I would check that out if you haven't yet!
I am soooo soooo stoked for this. My family and friends have called me Lydia Deetz for YEARS - photographer, "Strange and unusual". When we saw Beetlejuice in the theater I loved it so much - it's seriously the most (other than Ghostbusters) quotable movie EVER!
I like the idea, and I LOVE Michael Keaton, but do we really think he has the energy to pull off beetlejuice in his older years? I mean, beetlejuice is super animated.
Didn't realize there was a thread for this already... and i did search. Ay. Anyway.

My guess is that Lydia is gonna be a "Medium" with her young experience with the "strange and unusual" and she'll be helping people solve their haunting problems. And then add Beetlejuice and voilà! Revamped! Burton will bring justice.

As for Keaton, i'm sure a few lines will put him right into character (haha juuuust kidding)
It's been confirmed.... (kinda)

Published on Aug 10, 2015
Winona Ryder confirms the second installment of Beetlejuice.

Here's Winona Ryder:

"The Beetlejuice Sequel Is Happening!" - Late Night with Seth Meyers
Thanks for posting the video, NHammack. Cool to see Winona so open to the Beetlejuice talk.

DannyO'Dair, that's a great idea to have her Lydia character be a medium now. She can be working to help people communicate across the plane from the living to the dead. But then of course Beetlejuice will screw things up somehow, and madcap adventures ensue.