Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By chuckwagon
Just read the article on Yahoo News... I'm kinda raising an eyebrow at this whole "reboot" idea. IDK, maybe I'm just a purist, but the Ghostbusters franchise is to iconic. Better, IMO, to film an updated version of the first movie, and stay true to the original story, OR just do a 3rd installment continuing... But that's none of my business... **Sips tea**
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Call me a purist, but Ghostbusters is sort of a sacred cow in my eyes. They've been dragging out the idea of the next sequel (now a reboot) for so long, I've become weary of it all. First Bill Murray didn't want to do it. Then Harold Ramis passed away. Then it was pitched as "pass the torch" movie with young recruits and only cameos from the old guys. And now it's a full reboot with an all female cast.

I have nothing against the comedy style of a young or female cast. Just put that creativity into your own original movie. I'm not so interested in seeing the original guys replaced. For my money, the original movie is a hit not just because of the ghost extermination plot, but because of the personalities and comedic timing of the guys who were cast.

Ghostbusters isn't a movie concept template, Ghostbusters is THOSE guys. :pale:
By zombombie
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Call me a purist, but Ghostbusters is sort of a sacred cow in my eyes. They've been dragging out the idea of the next sequel (now a reboot) for so long, I've become weary of it all. First Bill Murray didn't want to do it. Then Harold Ramis passed away. Then it was pitched as "pass the torch" movie with young recruits and only cameos from the old guys. And now it's a full reboot with an all female cast.

I have nothing against the comedy style of a young or female cast. Just put that creativity into your own original movie. I'm not so interested in seeing the original guys replaced. For my money, the original movie is a hit not just because of the ghost extermination plot, but because of the personalities and comedic timing of the guys who were cast.

Ghostbusters isn't a movie concept template, Ghostbusters is THOSE guys. :pale:
Well said :thumbsup:
By nosferatu
I agree, it is a sacred cow that the producers seem desperate to milk, somehow, anyhow, to exploit the memory and name of the original. Without some sardonic Bill Murray involvement in was never going to work, now the producers are scrabbling around looking for some way to turn this sacred cow into a cash one.

All I can imagine is the jar-jarbinksification of the franchise. Let it be.

What I could see working would be some sort of mash up tv special. Ghostbusters meets The Big Bang Theory Halloween Special. Sheldon et al invent the tech but of course are too terrified to use it so the three girls become the actual Ghostbusters. I would have Bill Murray and Dan Ackroyd as villainous, sarcastic, mocking spectres causing havoc around the university Etc etc

But a new film? A reboot? Doesn't appeal how they currently describe it. Who knows though?
By zombombie
I just don't know. Ghostbusters is my favourite movie ever - I personally think it's damn near perfect on it's own and does NOT need remade. This picture... Well, it's just not the Ghostbusters.

And the latest news to be confirmed - by the man himself - is that Dan Aykroyd will have a cameo in it.
By pagemaster1993
Still on the border, and unlike Venkman I don't really want to cross it. I may see it in theaters just to see how it is.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
pagemaster1993 wrote:Still on the border, and unlike Venkman I don't really want to cross it. I may see it in theaters just to see how it is.
But if you see it in theaters, you'll be giving it a positive vote with your money. Even if you hate it, you'll be helping the box office and encouraging the movie studio execs to recycle more beloved classics! :o Just teasing ya, buddy (but I'm also serious).

Honestly, I can't help but be curious about the reboot and I will likely see it... someday. But I don't currently have plans to see this in theaters. I'm not just feeling any interest towards it. I've gotten over my initial "how could they!?" reaction, and now I just don't care one way or another. Let them do their thing. Maybe it will be cool, maybe it will be a let down. I'll just say this... it's not the movie I'll be thinking of when i use the word "Ghostbusters."
By pagemaster1993
Don't worry I only go to theaters during their discount matinees, and way after they come out.
By Dredge
That picture alone makes me want to vomit. Remaking poltergeist is one thing...but there are certain films that you just don't touch.
By NHammack
Dredge wrote:That picture alone makes me want to vomit. Remaking poltergeist is one thing...but there are certain films that you just don't touch.
I was totally on the fence... at first.

but after seeing the new jump suits....

The new ProtonPack...

& how hoopty-ish Ecto-1 looks...

I think they may have killed my childhood heros. I don't think I can go pay to watch this movie destroy great memories from the originals. :?
By pagemaster1993
Have you seen this trailer yet?

I'm still on the fence, but have to admit that this was funny.
By Cirrus
Oh, man... after watching the new trailer, now I'm conflicted. I am one of the purists -- old enough to have seen the first movie in the theater (I stood in line for it!), and I also believe the film is sacred territory. However, I have to admit the trailer was funny -- so did my husband. I am on the fence about supporting it with my dime in the theatres, but if do decide to hop the fence, I sure hope they don't screw it up.
By Chewy
Im a huge ghostbusters fan, but, this. No. Not really a fan of the cast, or the concept even.

I remember seeing a tshirt that summed it up. It had the logo on it and scrawled underneath it "There is only Zuul" - but the "Zuul" was scratched out and "two ghostbusters movies" was added. Missed the cutoff to buy it.... darn it.