Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
I know we have a few movie list threads going, but I have a bunch of films that I'm in the mood to watch this Halloween season, so I wanted to list them. My time gets limited as October 31 gets closer, so if I want to fit in all these movies, I better get started.

I know I'm repeating a few movies below, but I wanted to point out that they seem to fit into certain themed blocks...

The Stop-motion Animation Block:
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Corpse Bride
  • Coraline
  • Paranorman
  • Frankenweenie
The Universal Classic Block:
  • Frankenstein
  • The Bride of Frankenstein
The Modern Wood Cabin Block:
  • Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
  • Cabin in the Woods
  • Evil Dead (2013)
The Halloween Holiday Block:
  • It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
  • Halloween (1978)
  • Trick 'r Treat
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • The Crow
The Mad Science Block:
  • Frankenstein
  • The Bride of Frankenstein
  • Young Frankenstein
  • Re-Animator
    Frankenweenie
The In-Theaters Block:
  • You're Next
  • The World's End
Looks pretty good. My movie line up is just done alphabetically and I go down the list and watch as many movies as I can.

On a side not I hear it's the 20th anniversary of Jack Skellington.
pagemaster1993 wrote:On a side not I hear it's the 20th anniversary of Jack Skellington.
Is that right? I remember my dad taking me to see Nightmare Before Christmas in the cinema. Feel kind of old now! :lol:

That's a great line up ZP! This year I'll be starting early, maybe even tonight, with my watch list. I want to get some Munsters watched (so that might be tonight), and I've got plenty films I want to watch too. I'm also hoping to get to the cinema to catch You're Next :)
So I didn't start last night because, like ZP, I think I'll make a list :) My definite watch list so far includes (in no specific order):

Trick 'r Treat
Halloween
Frankenweenie
Paranorman
Bride of Frankenstein
The Mummy (1932)
The Creature from the Black Lagoon
VHS 2
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Cabin in the Woods
It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
Monsters vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins from Outer Space

I'll be looking to add more to that list soon :)
Last edited by zombombie on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't really have a list, I pretty much watch whatever horror related movie is on, no matter how bad or if I've seen it multiple times. However I must watch Hocus Pocus every single year. It feels like a tradition for me, even though I'm usually by myself watching it. I like watching Trick 'r Treat as well because it's the best Halloween movie there is and it really puts me in the mood for all things spooky.
Last edited by Raven on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mine is somewhat small, but it gets the job done.
  • 1. Halloween 1+2 (original)
    2. Poltergeist (I need to find dis!)
    3. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    4. Paranorman
    5. Frankenwenie
    6. Carrie/Alien and Aliens.
    7. The Halloween Tree
These seem to get me in the mood. Not that I'm not there already. These just strengthen the fact that I love Halloween SO D**N much.

I also havent seen a lot on this list either. (2, 4, 5, Carrie). So this year will be fun :twisted:
I like your list, zombombie. Lots of overlap for us. I've seen all those films, except for VHS 2 (didn't see the first one either). Like my list, that seems to be a good mix of classic horror, modern movies, and some holiday specific classics.

RavensDestiny, like you I will probably watch a lot of random things too. For example, whatever catches my eye when I'm scanning Netflix for something to watch while I work. I also like to check the cable TV listings and record any Halloween specials that are on.

SuperSonic, I highly approve of your list too. But why did you list all the movies as their own number on the list, but then put Carrie together with the Alien movies for number 6? :P

For me, there are certain movies (the ones I've listed) that I feel like I must watch to feel complete this year. Some of these are themes I'm just in the mood for lately (corpse re-animation, murder mayhem in the woods, stop-motion). Some are new blurays that I've recently acquired but haven't watched yet (Cabin in the Woods, Coraline, Re-Animator). Some are musts for the season (Trick 'r Treat, Halloween, The Nightmare Before Christmas). I've actually seen most of these movies before, but I sprinkled in a few I haven't seen. A couple classics and a couple moderns.

To go with the mad science movies I considered The Rocky Horror Picture Show but I watched that last year. Instead, I'll replace that with Young Frankenstein which I've somehow never seen. I also wanted to add my beloved Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow to my list, because I recently visited the real Sleepy Hollow NY (complete with tours of the cemetery and bridge of legend). But I often watch that around Halloween (including last year) so maybe I'll give it a break to make room for something else. The Crow might seem like a unique choice, but I haven't seen this gothic action flick in years, and remember... the main character is killed the night before his Halloween wedding, and comes back a year later for vengeance.
My list is short:

Zombieland
Triangle
The Shining
an American Werewolf in London

And two French films Martyrs and L'Interieur.......if you can stomach the gore.
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote: SuperSonic, I highly approve of your list too. But why did you list all the movies as their own number on the list, but then put Carrie together with the Alien movies for number 6? :P
Well, because they are interchangeable. The others aren't XD. Also some other ones I might watch (time allowing)

Trick R Treat, Sleepy Hollow (Depp), Ghostbusters 1&2, Edward Scissorhands
Er...I watch at least 1 of these a DAY. Right now I'm loving Coraline a lot.

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Corpse Bride
Coraline
Paranorman
Frankenweenie
When does everyone start watching their Halloween movies?

I've held out on watching some of the movies that I bought on blu-ray in the past year until this October. With everything I bought and what is being released in the next 2 months, I'm going to run out of time and will have to skip some stuff. Here's some of what I have:

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection
Evil Dead (2013)
Frankenweenie 3D
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D
Texas Chainsaw 3D
Silent Hill 3D

On Pre-Order
Friday 13th The Complete Collection
Alfred Hitchcock The Essentials Collection
The Vincent Price Collection
World War Z 3D
The Amityville Horror Trilogy
The Chucky Collection
Exorcist: 40th Anniversary
Halloween (35th Anniversary Edition)
So over this weekend, we watched:

Halloween H20 - Not watched this in years and I forgot how strange the pacing was. Not the best entry into the Halloween franchise, but not the worst.

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood - Never seen this before and I actually quite enjoyed. Some terrible acting but some good Jason scenes, and I do love Voorhees :)

The Amityville Horror - This was the remake with Ryan Reynolds. I didn't hate this movie, it was enjoyable enough with some good atmosphere.

Scream - I don't really need to say anything about this. A modern classic IMO.
Welcome, oSpriteo! Nice list you have going there. Funny, I just recently watched Frankenweenie and Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. But neither in 3D. I take it you own one of those fancy 3D TVs. :) And your pre-order list reminds me of how many big collections are coming out. And how many classics are having anniversaries.

zombombie - Great mix of movies you just watched. Lots of classic slashers. I can't recall many specifics of Halloween H2O off the top of my head, but I watched it a few years ago, along with every other Myers movie (and yes, even Season of the Witch, an underrated installment!)

I think Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood is a really good one in the Jason franchise. Good group of machete fodder, some memorable kills (sleeping bag, anyone?), and Voohees is a full-on zombie tank. Kane Hodder's first time under the mask. I like Jason's look in this movie, really tattered clothing and chains. And I did a pattern of his face unmasked, as it appears in this movie.

Speaking of watching all the movies in a series, back to back... I did that with the Scream movies earlier this year. The first is no doubt a modern classic. Well, it's getting older... I guess we can just call it a... classic. :P I like Scream 2 a bit less, and Scream 3 the least of the series. But they're all fun. And I saw Scream 4 for the first time this year and thought it was a perfect return to form.

I saw the Amityville Horror remake in theaters, and remember thinking it was decent. I just checked... I actually own it on DVD. Haha. Forgot about that. It was a gift, and I don't think I ever watched the disc. I should give it a spin again. Melissa George is a nice balance to the gross imagery. ;) She's also in 30 Days of Night, another movie I own and enjoy.
Melissa George most definitely makes watching any movie easier ;)

I wasn't expecting much from The New Blood but I really was pleasantly surprised. Over the next couple of nights I'm going to get Part VIII watched.

I like Season of the Witch! It definitely grew on me. The oddest thing is that it takes the Halloween name but I think they were just going to use the name 'Halloween' to make a series of horrors, not necessarily connected to Myers, but he became synonymous with the series. I don't know if I should admit this but it might good for me... I've only ever seen Halloween, Halloween III Season of the Witch, and Halloween H20 :oops: I really need to remedy that.

The Scream series absolutely goes down hill until number 4, which I actually don't have. I think you can get than on blu-ray over here now really cheap, so I might invest in it :)