Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
So I was just thinking about how I enjoy horror/fantasy/action/thriller movies taking place around the 19th century. Settings like Victorian England or early New England America. Something about a gritty story told among the fancy dress, horse drawn carriages, and cobblestone streets. If I see a movie trailer for a movie with this style and time period, I realize that I'm instantly drawn to it.

Here are some (more or less) 19th century / Victorian sort of movies that came to mind. Can you help me think of some more?

Frankenstein (1792)
Sleepy Hollow (1799)
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (1818)
Van Helsing (1840)
The Raven (1849)
From Hell (1888)
The Illusionist (1889)
Sherlock Holmes (1891)
The Wolfman (1891)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1897)
Dracula (1897)
Nosferatu (1838)
Sweeney Todd (19th century)
The Prestige (end of the 19th century)
Corpse Bride (Victorian era)
By Raven
A Christmas Carol (1801)
Dorian Gray (1890's)
Mary Reilly
The Woman in Black (I think this is suppose to take place in the early 1900's, but still has that victorian era feel to it).
The Phantom of the Opera (late 1800's)
Interview with the Vampire ( Story starts in the late 1700's)
Pirates of the Caribbean (I had to throw this in there, I loved the movie!)

And while set much later I will also list The Others. The isolation of the family, the old house and lack of electricity gives the movie a much earlier feel.

I'm a huge fan as well of movies in that time period. I think it is because it always looks so mysterious and back then they never had bright sunny days. It was always foggy, raining or snowing, sunshine had not yet been invented. :P Another thing I like about these movies is that they don't seem to rely heavily on CGI effects and instead have you wondering what is lurking in the shadows, or mostly the fog (again, no sunshine yet). Plus there is never an easy way to escape anything. You can't just jump in the car (that won't start anyway) and drive away. It takes far too long to get the horses ready if they have not already run away. In spite of everything everyone was still very prim and proper. I especially love the costumes that have a more gothic look to them.
Ahh, I too love the a good period horror. The grime, the stench of disease and death (you can almost smell it), the thick fog, perfect for hiding in :twisted: . Wet cobblestone shinning in the lamplight. And the stately homes of England in the dead of night, creaking and groaning, floating in the mist, . What's not to love.
Not sure on dates but other films that spring to mind:

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Awakening (a bit like The Others in the sense that although it is set in 1921 it has a much earlier feel possibly due to the flashbacks and the use of a large dark stately home).
Army of Darkness (maybe slightly earlier than Victorian!)
The Turn of the Screw or The Innocents (one of my all time favourite period horrors. Or one of my all time favourite horrors, period.)
Perfume (18th century. Maybe less obvious choice but I class it as a horror.)
I also think of Quills. (set around 1800 i think. Maybe more of a period drama than a horror but has some pretty frightening scenes and is set in an asylum which I think would probably be the scariest place of all to be staying 200 years ago.)
I haven't seen the film about Burke and Hare with Simon Pegg but im sure there must be a good period grave robbing flick out there.
You can always turn to the wonderful world of Hammer Horror in the search for all things Victorian, Edwardian etc. There are too many to mention and probably a few not worth mentioning.