Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By b2b
I've been waiting to go to see this one tonight. Alone. In the Dark. I better not hear anything strange when I get home OR THE LIGHTS STAY ON! :shock:
By ghostface
Yes please let us know I would love to hear if it is worthy of seeing. Looks very creepy!
By b2b
Okay...too scared to go alone at night, went in daylight today. EXCELLENT performances by the kids and good perf by Chastain and the male protagonist. Old fashioned scares in that it did not depend on gore or body parts being dismembered but on creepiness factor, (my preference anyway). It showed the entity in full too many times to sustain the fear, (although I would still not want it under my bed) and jumped to several scenes with very little development in either character or scene continuity towards the end. I don't want to give away the ending in case someone wants to see it on the big screen, but it should be no problem seeing it at night and coming home to a dark and creaky house. The theater only had five of us in it for the first showing, and what was really creepy was the guy coming down the stairs on my right nodding and talking to someone who wasn't there. But then, we all have our little quirks, eh?
By monstermash
I'll most likely give this one a go. Not out here in the UK yet. I'd urge anyone to have a look at the short that inspired this film to be made. Its on youtube, sorry can't figure links out yet. You should find it if you search for "mama short" on YT, I think thats how I found it, it's about 3 mins long.
By monstermash
Saw it tonight. Not a bad film, i'm in total agreement with what b2b said. A little less of Mama herself would have gone a long way. I will be checking under my bed tonight!
I'll never look at a wig on the floor in the same way again!!! :wink: :lol:
By chuckwagon
Holy crab cakes... planning on seeing this thing tomorrow night, so i checked out a trailer and a few screen shots on iMbd... Is that the guy that plays Jaime Lannister in Game of Thrones?!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Apparently so. The actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is in Mama and Game of Thrones. Having recently got into Game of Thrones, I'm curious to see how the kingslayer makes his appearance in Mama.
By chuckwagon
Okay... I watched less than 10 minutes of this movie and had to shut it off. Not because it was a suck-fest though (I am sure it is actually a good creepy movie)... The thing is, that when I became a daddy for the first time, something inside me changed about how I view and respond to violence/tragedy when it involves children, regardless of Hollywood fiction or real life scenarios. I get really emotional about it, 'cause I always think "what if it were my daughter(s)..." Case in point, my wife and I tried to watch that Cameron Diaz movie 'My sisters Keeper' and I left the room crying and didn't finish... even had to go outside and light a cigg to collect myself. So, I gotta leave this flick alone for now. Just can't bear to watch. And it sucks, cause I was curious to see the Kingslayers performance too!!
By Raven
chuckwagon wrote: Case in point, my wife and I tried to watch that Cameron Diaz movie 'My sisters Keeper' and I left the room crying and didn't finish...
I don't even have kids and that movie devastated me!
By chuckwagon
RavensDestiny wrote:
chuckwagon wrote: Case in point, my wife and I tried to watch that Cameron Diaz movie 'My sisters Keeper' and I left the room crying and didn't finish...
I don't even have kids and that movie devastated me!
The scene in that movie when the little girl is screaming for her mommy while the doctors are holding her down tight, and restraining her for the procedure while her mommy was watching was it for me... I became a big ole bucket of tears. I almost turned in my man card that night. But yeah, I just couldn't do this Mama movie either. I didn't think it was gonna be THAT big a deal for me when I watched the trailer, plus the fact that I love horror and spook fests, but when kids are around i dunno. It kinda changes the equation a bit...
Teenagers, on the other hand, are a different story. They are old enough to know better than to look in the closet, march through the woods, or or do ANYTHING by themselves after all their other friends end up dead. If you're that dumb, then maybe you deserve to be killed by some twisted up psycho serial killer at the abandoned summer camp, HA!
By monstermash
I wouldn't worry too much about it upsetting you chuck. Without giving too much story away, nothing bad happens to the kids, yeah they have to fend for themselves in the woods for a while but as far as the ghost goes, no harm comes to them. Mama has more of a problem with the adults :twisted: , she loves the kids.
By chuckwagon
okay, took the advice and watched the whole thing... After I got past the scene that I walked away from originally, I was pretty happy with the movie for the most part. I think it was a little more suspenseful than creepy, IMO, but I was still left with an empty feeling at the end... I was kinda angry when the credits started rolling. I had a "REALLY, THAT'S IT?" feeling. Good back story, lots of suspense, fair amount of creepiness, and Jaime Lannister in the lead roll... I give it a B+ rating, with potential for a A if the ending was just a bit different. BUT, it is a Guillermo Del Toro movie, so I guess I can bump it to an A- for that fact alone, only because I'm hoping that he will revisit the idea of doing the HP Lovecraft movie "At the Mountains of Madness".