Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By Raven
This will be premiering in October on Chiller T.V. (my favorite channel). It looks like they will be showing a few people obsessed with Halloween and how they celebrate and decorate. Maybe we will see some ZP carvings!

"The American Scream: an unconventional look at the Halloween cultural phenomenon of homemade haunted houses, and the enthusiasts behind the scenes. Filmed in the sleepy enclave of Fairhaven, MA, The American Scream follows the creative minds behind three local homemade haunts and their spirited, passionate and sometimes harrowing efforts in igniting their town’s Halloween spirit each year. "
By purple1worm
Cool! Too bad I don't get that channel. Maybe I could find it on the internet!
By sloaner
[youtube]
[/youtube]

Great new documentary, not sure if anyone on here would be into it though :lol:
By pagemaster1993
Sounds like an awesome documentary. I am guessing it is only going to be on Chiller though.
By monstermash
I really like this type of documetary, interesting subject (for me anyway), quirky characters, and it's not taking itself too seriously. It's ashame I wont get to see it. :(
By Zombie Pumpkins!
"It feels good that they're having so much fun. And I was a part of it. I caused it. I think this haunt is my legacy. I think they're gonna remember this for a long time."

We all want to leave a legacy, don't we. I can relate to this. Some interesting characters in this doc, that's for sure. Love the accents. I'll be watching this, one way or another.
By Raven
I amazingly remembered this was on and watched it tonight. I went into it thinking they would take some people completely obsessed with Halloween in a horders type way and make them seem crazy, but that's not what it was at all. They showed 3 different families that set up home haunts, building mostly all of the props themselves. They were all very talented and creative and really poured their heart and souls into their work. All of them have really sacrificed a lot to do what they love and live their dream. It was rather touching at the end to see the look on their faces as hundreds of strangers went through their haunts, laughing, screaming and even crying in fear. It was all worth it to them to bring the community together. One said it perfectly, although I can't quote him word for word about Halloween being a holiday for the community whereas Christmas and Thanksgiving are family holidays. Something like that anyway. :)

I highly recommend watching this if you can find it somewhere.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thanks for letting us know it's on Netflix Instant. That's how I'll be watching it, soon! I can relate to the idea of pouring tons of time and energy into a holiday that brings together a community. Right up my alley.
By monstermash
I noticed they are showing this at the Glasgow Film Theatre on the 22nd of Feb. I would love to try and catch it but don't know if I can. Just thought i'd mention it if any scots are in the area.

Some other good sounding horrors on that day too as part of the film festivals frightfest but Byzantium and The Lords of Salem are already sold out :cry:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I watched this movie with my mother, during the Christmas holiday season no less! I asked her, "What movie would you like to watch? Maybe something Christmas related?" She said, "How about 'The American Scream,' that documentary about Halloween home haunters." Well isn't that festive? This is the kind of family I come from. :lol:

I thought it was pretty great. You get to see the 3 families working on their homemade props, with some being more professional about it than others. But it's not about what they're making, as much as the bonding time and the sense of leaving a legacy for the community. I can really relate to this aspect, their sentiments hit close to home for me.

Ravens, the quote you paraphrased goes like this:

"Halloween is intensely special to me. And it feels very different from every other day. It's a community thing. It's not just a family thing. Thanksgiving and Christmas are family holidays. Halloween brings a whole community together. You're not gonna see that any other time of the year. 95% of the people going through this haunt are strangers to me. I may never see them again. But they'll remember this. They may not remember me, but they'll remember what I've done." - Victor Bariteau

And that pretty much sums up why I do this Zombie Pumpkins website.