Provide your feedback on the main site (besides the patterns).
By KILLER KLOWN
I will agree it does throw you off a little when some one changes their avatar. It's like some one getting a drastic new hair cut. :lol: Takes a little getting used to.

That said, I change mine just about every year in October.
By sodajazz
I get used to avatar pics and know exactly who it is, but when they change it does take a while to get used to it. I mourn the loss of old retired avatars :?
By matspud
I am too lazy to change mine, but there are a couple of us using the same one now so I might see what I can find. I need to work out how to create my own one from a photo.
By GUS
I hate all this pics via host sites malarky such as facebook etc, as someone who keeps a fairly low key (in a modern world) web presence I'd like to know how you can do it from your own pc (as in like a few years back pre facebook).

I don't trust the changing world very much TBF, Jerry Springer's dad keeping an old car in the barn is a fine example! ..if you don't know the story google it.
Or another example is the collation of info by companies who as yet don't know what they will do with it... but will eventually, or Holland where form filling was the standard & when the Nazi's invaded the sheer weight of info on citizens ably assisted in sending lots to their deaths or time in concentration camps...
If you live in Europe you are part of a large amount of bordering / close-by countries, each with their own agenda's ..statedor otherwise, ruled in the main by an over-riding decision maker on things as daft as the shape of a banana!
Don't get too carried away handing over info.
if you visit a hospital here you'll be asked a whole kaboodle of ethnicity questions etc prior to treatment.
Our governments latest is to stick all your medical recordson one central location accessed by all & sundry... Hmm!? what could go wrong? ..unless you opt out you join in & even then it's dubious as to how effective opting out is.
So currently I'll stick with my non posting of pics (except when e-mailed to Ryan) & the site options for avatars.

It may seem a tad ridiculous, but as watchers of a certain genre of movie we all see (even in fiction) how quickly all aspects of society can go to pot.
By matspud
My profile pic on facebook is directly downloaded from my PC and that is the one I would like to use here ( carved, green Mrs Lovett) but I don't really want to use photobucket or anything like that. I was hoping that I could just copy and paste it but look like I will have to stay with what I have. :D
By mesmark
matspud wrote:My profile pic on facebook is directly downloaded from my PC and that is the one I would like to use here
If you go to your FaceBook - photos - profile pictures page and right click on your image preview, you should get a "copy URL" option. (That page has the best size option for avatar use.)

Copy the URL and then come here and go to your profile page. There is a box for "off site URL to avatar" or something like that. Paste the URL into that box and it should work.

Image from the profile page (a little large)

Image from the photo - profile photo preview - just right

Image from the post preview (too small)

Those images are public and so should display here.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Looks like Mark has found a way to use your Facebook profile photos as avatars, without having to host them elsewhere. Neat.

Two other suggestions for those of you wanting to change your avatar:

Resizing Images:

If you have an image you'd like to use, but it's too large, there are many websites that can resize for you, right in the browser.

The first one that came up in a Google search for me is called Pic Resize and it seems to do a fine job. It will even let you crop an image, select the exact size you want it to be, rotate it, and even add effects if you so choose.

Hosting Avatar Images on the forum:

Also, I've just added the option to host your custom avatar images right here on the forum. No need to get an imageshack or photobucket account if all you want is to make your own avatar. ZP will store it for you.

Simply go to the "Profile" link above, scroll to the bottom and chose the file from your computer where it says "Upload Avatar from your machine"

Recommended avatar size is 80x80 pixels, but you can make them as large as 120 pixels if you want; that is the largest they can be without stretching out this current forum layout.

If you've been itching to change your avatar, give it a try.
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
By GUS
That's a great move that will surely be appreciated by all & sundry, thanks Ryan.
By matspud
I tried using your lovely new direct method Ryan but I can't get it to work :? It find the image I want but doesn't do anything when I hit submit. Is there a stage I am missing out?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Hmm, not sure why it isn't working for you, matspud. I just gave it another try and was able to switch my avatar without issue.

I know there is a limit on the size of the image used (height/width max of 120 pixels, file size of 50 kb). If you tried to upload an avatar larger than those numbers it wouldn't work, but the page would tell you why it failed. But you didn't see a message like that?

Also make sure you don't have anything in the other two blanks under "Avatar control panel" when you submit, so it knows what the source of your image should be.

Then just hit the "Submit" button and it should work. If successful, it will say, "Your profile has been updated."
By GUS
Matspud, why do you want to change your avatar to pictures of Mesmark ? :lol:

Image from the profile page (a little large)

By matspud
Got it. My work computer must have been playing up yesterday because today it was telling me what was wrong not just throwing me out ( it had the right idea yesterday :D )

I tried that pic resize site Ryan. Its Great .
Thanks All for your help. 8)

And yes it is a self- potrait ( In my my wildest dreams anyway)
Last edited by matspud on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
By GUS
matspud wrote:Got it. My work computer must have been playing up yesterday because today it was telling me what was wrong no just throwing me out ( it had the right idea yesterday :D )

I tried that pic resize site Ryan. Its Great .
Thanks All for your help. 8)

And yes it is a self- potrait ( In my my wildest dreams anyway)
...re your work pc i.t. dilemma...

"did you try turning it off & on"?
...(I love the IT crowd)
By GUS
..she used to drink in my local cafe when filming in the area, nice lady.