Provide your feedback on the main site (besides the patterns).
By GUS
I have a goatee, ..it was a big goatee till I stood too close to a campfire a few weeks ago & melted 3 years worth whilst depositing a tree on the fire.

Ryans is a shortscaped beard. ..coiffured by George Michaels beard dresser!

..do you want "product" on that?
By SaneInsideInsanity
My BF had Mutton Chops and a handlebar mustache...He lost a bet while we were playing fable and has to keep them for a year....they've grown on us both though kinda odd....I like facial hair on men but i agree on the full out beard when its not taken care of that's just laziness....or overworkedness which im sure is where ryan's came from currently :P
By Zombie Pumpkins!
:?: Do unique creations just 'hit' you or do you play around a bit?

It can happen both ways. Sometimes I'll just play. I may start by drawing a spooky face and then deciding what it should be. "Uncle Vlad" was just a regular ugly dude before I gave him fangs, a widows peak and a collar, thus transforming him into a vampire.

Other times, I have a clear picture in my mind for the concept, and then try to draw exactly what I'm envisioning. "Heads Up!" is one example. I could see the headless horseman pose in my mind's eye, and then just put it onto the screen.

:?: Where do you find the time to carve yourself?

I just have to MAKE time, usually at the cost of sleep. Since the duties of operating this site never really stop, I just force myself to find some carving time. I usually carve on the night of October 30th (while keeping an eye on the site). I'll carve well into the night, and sometimes beyond daybreak. With the help of family and friends, I usually get about a dozen carved pumpkins into my display each year.

:?: Have you a fave pattern?

That's like asking someone to pick their favorite child. Often my favorite pattern is whichever one I've most recently designed. You can get an idea of which patterns I favor by looking at the ones I've chosen to carve myself. Off the top of my head, I'd say that I'm fairly proud of "Undead Ted" and "E.T."

:?: What part of Ireland is your family from?

That I don't know. I would have to ask my grandmother, as she is the Irish one. Unfortunately she is now kissing the big Blarney Stone in the sky. Perhaps my mother knows though.

:?: Favorite food?

Not sure I have an all time favorite. I go through phases of craving a certain thing, then lose interest and get on a new kick. These days I don't have much time to prepare "real" meals, so my favorite foods are whatever can be microwaved or delivered.

:?: What super power would you like to have if any?

Perhaps the ability to clone myself, so one of me can pack Shocking Shop orders, while another one can answer customer emails, while another one can design patterns. And yet another one can play video games. :wink:

Many people say they'd like to fly. But honestly, I'd be quite content with the power of telekinesis. Because, ya know... that remote control is waaaaay over there.

:?: Ever thought of brining in help?

I've hired help for the more technical aspects of the site's operation, and I may enlist more help as ZP continues to grow. But my goal is to always do as much as I can myself, and keep ZP personal. Above all, I will always handle the creative aspects of this site (the illustration, web design, and of course... the patterns). That stuff is my biggest passion.

:?: How much food gets caught in that beard?

None really, I'm pretty neat, including with my eating habits. I generally keep a "goatee style." My chin hasn't seen the light of day in nearly 13 years! But sometimes the goatee morphs into a beard. Not necessarily by choice, but rather out of convenience. Who has time to shave their cheeks when there are pumpkin patterns to design!?
By SaneInsideInsanity
Thanks for the replies Ryan it's always nice to get a peek into the mind of genius ;).
By QuickAvenger
What programs do you use to do your drawings? do you do them free hand then put them into the computer or do them straight on the computer with a graphics tablet?
By Ajax
There is a forum about Ryans pattern design technique i'll find it and post it for you.
Last edited by Ajax on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ajax
QuickAvenger wrote:What programs do you use to do your drawings? do you do them free hand then put them into the computer or do them straight on the computer with a graphics tablet?
check out this forum QuickAvenger it should answer your questions.

http://www.zombiepumpkins.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3411
By paddy_babe
thanks for answering ryan :D sorry about your granny though.
By Dadja
zombiepumpkins wrote:My chin hasn't seen the light of day in nearly 13 years! But sometimes the goatee morphs into a beard.
I remember on GS you had a blog entry for your 10 year goatee anniversary, that has to be one of my all time favourite blog entries. So since we are asking questions: can you repost that entry here? I really 'd like to read it again :)
By minion_of_the_pumpkin
i gots a question. whats your fave sport.(other than carving pumpkins)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
:?: What programs do you use to do your drawings?

I start by sketching the pattern in Adobe Photoshop. Once I'm happy with my pattern drawing, I refine and clean it up with Adobe Illustrator. Finally I create the printable file for the site with Adobe Flash.

:?: Do you do them free hand then put them into the computer or do them straight on the computer with a graphics tablet?

The pumpkin patterns almost always start with some on-screen sketching with a graphics tablet. I have a Wacom Intuos 4 (Medium size).

:?: Whats your fave sport?

Does my lack of sports patterns on this site indicate my level of interest in sports? How about foosball, does that count? Ping pong perhaps?
By SaneInsideInsanity
...lol. I kinda figured you weren't a sports guy. More artistic. So...

Who is your Fav artist then? :P

Have you ever gone cow-tipping?

Do you like to sing in the shower?

Whats your favorite book?

What's your favorite midnight snack?

Date someone older or younger?

One place you could travel right now?

Do you use umbrellas?

If you dont know the words to a song do you improvise?

Favorite Potato Chips?

Favourite cheese?

Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Do you prefer Blondes or Brunettes?

What is on your bedside table?

Do you have posters up on your room walls?

Do you still have tonsils?

Which do you like better - Coke or Pepsi?

What is your idea of a hot romantic date?

Which color do you like the best?

(Ok Now I'm Just messing with you don;t think you acctually have to answer any of these)
By GUS
To bring it back on track (ish) after a whole page of nothing thread related..

Have you ever done a stencil of a girlfriend? was it / would it be a step too far in the way it was perceived?! ..(probably the carving equivilent of "stalking")

Whats the most commonly mistaken for something / somebody else stencil that you've heard of from your own collection of carvings?

If you could take one film to be watched on a desert island which would it be?

How do you explain away your absence within society in the pumpkin months?
By amandap80
I haven't seen the most important question asked yet.
Ryan, are you married?? :P
By Zombie Pumpkins!
:?: Who is your favorite artist?

I went to college for art and had to learn about all the great masters. But personally, I like the more modern and monstrous stuff. You can check out some artist fiends of mine on the links page.

Looking at the art books on my shelf, I should also mention famous monster painter Basil Gogos and dark fantasy artist Brom. I also have several prints from comic artist J. Scott Campbell on my walls.

:?: Do you have posters up on your room walls?

I have two framed posters that I'm proud of. Shaun of the Dead poster autographed by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. And A Nightmare on Elm Street poster signed by John Saxon, Heather Langenkamp and Robert Englund. Here are a few pics:

:?: Which color do you like the best?

Overall, my favorite color is red. But also I'm quite partial to orange for obvious reasons. Can't beat and orange/black combo (or red/black combo).

:?: Have you ever done a stencil of a girlfriend?

I've done a stencil for, but not of, a girlfriend. Although it's likely to happen someday. I don't think it would be perceived as a creepy stalker thing to do (unless she was a stranger). What do you say, ladies?

:?: Whats the most commonly mistaken for something / somebody else stencil?

We talked a bit about that in this thread. But overall, nothing really comes to mind. If any pattern was so unrecognizable that it was often mistaken for something else, I'd likely have long since retired or redesigned it.

:?: Ryan, are you married?

There's no ring on this finger.
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.