Provide your feedback on the main site (besides the patterns).
By Marquis_of_Pumpkins
Ryan,
Have you ever considered giving some tips on how to develop carving patterns? Perhaps creating a section on the site as to how to create a pattern from a picture of a person or character would help some of us who wish to create our own patterns .
Over the years I've been creating some of my own designs but It's a trial and error process, sometimes looking good, other times not so much.

I'm sure there's a way you could help some of us out by not revealing all of your secrets.

Anyone else interested?

:D
By GUS
To tell the truth I'd prefer that ryan did all the work! ...he's prepared to take in our suggestions & come good, I like the style of ZP (especially unique creations)

And there are plenty of tutorials / software out there for those who wish to give it a go.

my 2 pence worth :)
By Marquis_of_Pumpkins
I desire this because there are designs which will not be done that I would really like to have.

So for instance: A Chinese dragon would be most awesome, a Samurai warrior in full regalia would be excellent, but there is little chance that these designs will make the cut.

Last year I did design of the Buddha for my temple and it went over really well, but I had a heck of time trying to get it right.

I'm not afraid of working on these things myself, some tips from a master would be most helpful.

Ryan's original designs and style are GREAT! But, I wish to develop my own skills as well.
By badgers
I haven't tried this yet but maybe it could be of some help to you?
I found this site awhile back:

http://www.canucarve.com/index.html

It has an easy mode --- strickly carving
medium --- involves some shaving
advanced mode ---- caving and different levels of shaving

Again I havent tried it, but if anyone here has maybe they could let you and all of us know. But in my opinion the Zombies are the best!!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Well aside from not wanting to give away all my secrets... :wink: I haven't put much thought into how to explain my process. I think a lot of it comes from experience and practice.

I can be a bit of a perfectionist, so if I tried to make a pattern-making tutorial, I'd probably want to spend so much time making it right... and I'd sort of rather spend that time making more patterns for the masses!

But I totally see your point about how there are some specialty patterns you might want for yourself, which might not have enough mass appeal to be added to the ZP collection.

In that case, please feel free to email me patterns your are working on, and I'll be more than happy to offer some tips on how to improve it as a carving stencil.
By matspud
Jason has a tutorial over on jamminpumpkins.com. Other tutorials can be found at carvingpumpkins.com.

Hope this doesn't tread on your toes Ryan.
By Marquis_of_Pumpkins
I appreciate everyone's help on this issue!

I completely understand that you wish to preserve your techniques and secrets, but perhaps in the future I may ask your advice on a pattern that I'm stuck on. Of course you will be very busy with all of your upcoming work, so I may only ask for something once I'm completely at a loss.

Thanks!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Sure, Marquis. I'd be glad to take a look. Even if you're not stuck, feel free to email me your work and I'll see if I have any pointers.
By Euri
Aw, see, Ryan? It's that winning attitude of generosity that has earned you your legions of fans. Whether it is endlessly giving us the patterns we ask for, personally responding to posts, or packing up the stuff we order yourself and etc., this is one of the reasons that I keep coming back to ZP. It's not just because the patterns are great. Seriously, a large part of my enthusiasim for the holiday is involved with this web site.

There. Gushing over. :wink:
By Kerianne19
Euri, I completely agree with your gushing :) It's the personal side that makes this community so much different than any other... And it is all encouraged by the PatchMaster himself!
By Binki
I agree the personal touch that Ryan and the other members bring keep me here. Everyone seems to help eachother out even if it's not a carving related thing.
By Pumpkin Hunter
This is so true, especially for us poor souls in the UK.

The others will probably agree when I say that there is very little in the shops yet, very few people will bother having a party or decorating their house and when you do, most look at you like you're crazy.

So this site is all we have. If it wasn't for here, we'd be sad little people with a halloween obsession. On here we are part of a big group of nutters with a halloween obsession.

We all long to belong to a group.

Ryan does an amazing job at holding us and all of this together and it is really appreciated.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thanks, my minions. I love keeping it personal, it's a big part of why I do all this. I've had people offer to help design patterns, answer emails from members, or package and ship the goods from my shop... but, nay I say! When someone gets a pattern, email, or package from Zombie Pumpkins, I like for people to know that it came from my very hands. :)