Provide your feedback on the main site (besides the patterns).
By chuckwagon
Hey Ryan, I was wondering which organization ZP is going to be contributing to this year. I love the fact that a portion of the profits from this site go towards helping others for the greater good! If it's not too personal to ask, can you tell us how you go about making a decision? My wife and I try to help out the local animal shelters and SPCA when we can with donations just because we are animal lovers, but have any of the past choices for ZP been of any personal significance for you :?:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Good question Chuck, thanks for asking. When choosing the charity for each year, I try to spread the philanthropy around to different causes. Even if some themes overlap, I pick a different organization for every Halloween season.

It started with the American Red Cross (2005) - with the donated funds going directly to Hurricane Katrina relief. That storm was the costliest natural disaster, as well as one of the five deadliest hurricanes, in the history of the United States. Since it happened right before Halloween season, it was a timely cause to kick off the charity collections here at ZP.

Several of the later donations went to places that help children - Treehouse (2010), My Stuff Bags Foundation (2009), Free Arts for Abused Children (2008) and Make-A-Wish Foundation (2007). These charities provide items of comfort and experiences of hope to kids who are abused, without a home, or battling illness. So much of my audience includes families with kids, who are sharing the fun of a pumpkin carving as bonding experience. So it feels appropriate to help those children who might not have the luxury of that fun family time. The Free Arts for Abused Children team even worked with me to plan a specific "Very Spooky" Free Arts Day right around Halloween.

And then there have been contributions to some medical charities, which have all had some personal significance to me. Susan G. Komen for the Cure (2006) was chosen because I've seen breast cancer occur in my family. Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (2011) was selected because a family friend lost their life after dealing with this affliction. And the Hope Heart Institute (2012) received our donation because I myself was diagnosed with some heart anomalies (don't worry, nothing life threatening!) so I wanted to help spread the awareness of heart health.

For this 2013 Halloween season, I already have a charity idea in mind, as a friend of mine is currently battling a specific sort of dangerous ailment. But the chosen organization isn't set in stone, so I always welcome suggestions for where our donation should go.
By chuckwagon
Obviously I'd put in a bid for some sort of animal rescue or wildlife charity, but I do have personal family connections with breast cancer since my aunt died just a few weeks ago, my niece lives with cystic fibrosis, and 2 cousins have downs syndrome. But this is your site buddy, and any choice you decide on is gonna be a great one! I just think is magnificent that you go out of your way to help others who either can't afford it on their own, or to just help out because you're a swell guy... and you are!

The story about the Free Arts for Abused Children organization is so cool!! It's so important that children are able to have fun and happiness in what might otherwise be a crummy situation. My own mom and dad were foster parents for a long time, and when I was a teenager, they had kids come and go from all kinds of different family backgrounds and situations. Some worse than others, and as I got older and more understanding, it was heartbreaking to hear about some of the things those kids had to endure. Very nice to hear that ZP! was able to bring a little bit joy to those kids you were able to help out!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Very nice of you to say all that. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your aunt, and the other things your family has had to endure. You must come from a strong and supportive family though, especially if your parents were so kind as to foster kids in need. Lots of families make fun memories with my pumpkin patterns, but it's nice to know that some less fortunate kids have also been given a chance to smile, thanks to the generosity of all you ZP minions.
By Kayo
im kinda feeling everything chuckwagon is saying. everyone in my family has had cancer in some form (i my self had brain cancer), arts are what i do for a living, and on the side my roommate and i foster and rescue pit bulls.
By SuperSonic
I agree with cancer, but I'm more leaning towards a biased opinion of Autism research, I myself battle with it daily.

But the charity to me doesn't matter. The point is my money is going somewhere to help others who are in need of it. That's enough for me.
By NikkiRae
I support any and all charities. But recently I have been doing everything I can (donating/volunteering) for ovarian cancer groups. My mom was diagnosed in 2011 with the disease and has seen made a wonderful recovery. This year she has been cleared by her physicians and to celebrate we are participating in the local Whisper Walk. I am a huge advocate for these kind of foundations now because ovarian cancer is what they call a "silent killer". It's very common for it to not show many symptoms until it gets very bad. My mother herself had no idea she had cancer, nor did her doctors, until her blood level started to drastically drop. She had to have blood transfusions twice within a week of each other. They finally found the cause, a small tumor in her ovary that was collecting blood. It enlarged her ovary to nearly the size of a football in as little as 2 weeks. She had to have surgery within a month or the ovary could have potentially burst.

Anyway, long story short, I support any charity that is chosen but want to suggest that if not this year then some year in the future Zombie Pumpkins supports an ovarian cancer charity. Because it really is a disease most people forget about and is extremely dangerous.
By pagemaster1993
Since I have a job now I hope to be able to help for the greater good more.
By pagemaster1993
chuckwagon wrote:CONGRATS Page,!!
Thanks Chuck.
By suzika
I have to toss out either St. Baldrick's Foundation (kid's cancer research) or the Kidney Cancer Association. I have volunteered with SBF for years.

I am also fighting kidney cancer for the second time. There is one cure and it works in only about 1% of RCC patients. I'd love one of my favorite things to help fight what is going to take my life.
By badgers
Hey everyone :)
Not necessarily (spelling?) a charity, at least not yet. But a few pages related to each other I'd like you to checkout if you have the time. The first is called Smiles For Siblings at:
http://www.smilesforsiblings.org/index.html
It's a page started by Chris West a 14 year old boy (soon to be 15 on 8/19), who has beaten cancer TWICE!!. He started it for his sisters (he has 2) and brother (he has 1) when he saw their faces when he would get gifts and cards, and thought that they were feeling left out. So he started this organization to get people to mail birthday cards to the siblings of the oncology patients to let them know they are not forgotten about.

The other page is the Smiles for siblings facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/smilesforsiblings
All the birthdays of siblings who sign up are listed there under the events.

And to learn more about Chris West check out his facebook page PLEASE!!
https://www.facebook.com/prayersforchriswest
Updates about Chris are here some by him, or his mom and sister.

Not endorsing as a charity just didn't know where to put this yet....just want everyone who can to check it out, and if you have time on 8/19....wish Chris a happy birthday on his facebook page.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thanks for sharing the charity suggestions. I do really wish I could help them all. Even though I can only choose one place to donate to each year, I guess we are still helping in some small way by discussing other charities here, because it brings attention to their cause.
By Kayo
This year's charity means alot to me I just saw it on Facebook. :thumbsup: thanks Ryan! Everyone watch for those zombies (brain tumors) :wink: