Provide your feedback on the main site (besides the patterns).
By St0ney
I'm Actually Confused by the Secretness (is that a word) of the VIP Patterns.
Yes only the folks that sign up for the Monster harvest package, have Access to them.

But Wouldn't Showing the Carves (and the MOCKS) , Give More incentive for folks to up their memberships, or Start out as a "Monster Harvest" Member ???
Kinda shows the folks that don't have access to those pats, What their Missing out on.

Plus I would like to See what it is you carved :lol:
Good question..we've just always kept them secret for some reason. It's kind of an incentive to up your membership to find out what the patterns are, also. I know I would die of curiosity if I didn't have the MH membership, and that's a big part of the reason I get it every year. It's not the only part, but a big part. :P

Can't wait to start seeing pictures of the VIP patterns carved! I do remember seeing one on here already, but can't remember by whom. :lipssealed:
RavensDestiny wrote:that's a big part of the reason I get it every year.
Well I get that also, for I do have access to those patterns :wink:

I remember the game show Lets make a deal (I think it's back on) ?

Anywho - People bet on what's behind door number 1 2 3.
So maybe the "Wonder" is a Good thing. Just those patterns are So GOOD - I think they would sell the package better if shown.
Not my call just my 2 pennies.

Back to the Lets make a deal Show, The Gag Prize Sometimes was a Giant Hobby Horse.

I Would KILL for a 15 Foot Hobby Horse
Keep the Car I want that Horse !- LMAO !!!!! :lol:
If a VIP pattern is well carved and photographed straight on people might just trace it of the screen and get the pattern that way. I know if I didn't have the MH membership and people kept mentioning the patterns I'd be dying to upgrade. Where as if I saw the patterns I might not neccessarily want to carve that particular one which might put me off upgrading.
St0ney wrote:I'm Actually Confused by the Secretness (is that a word) of the VIP Patterns.
Yes only the folks that sign up for the Monster harvest package, have Access to them.

But Wouldn't Showing the Carves (and the MOCKS) , Give More incentive for folks to up their memberships, or Start out as a "Monster Harvest" Member ???
Kinda shows the folks that don't have access to those pats, What their Missing out on.

I'm with you, St0ney. I think being able to see the patterns might help persuade people to join. But on the other side of the coin, of the 5 patterns released, so far, only #1 is of any interest to me. Now, maybe the other 5 will be awesome, or maybe not. If I had the chance to see them before I purchased, maybe I wouldn't have gotten the package. But maybe others would love those patterns and join because of them.

-Fred
I could be wrong but when ZP went from free to the donation system there weren't any extra patterns for a few years. Then one year Ryan added a few extra patterns for Monster Harvest members only. The idea then was those patterns were a 'thank you' gift of sorts for people who had donated the full amount.

I get the Monster Harvest membership because I personally get well more than my $20 worth with this site. For me, I have always felt like those 'VIP' patterns are more of a 'thank you' from Ryan for the support, as opposed to a lure. Many of the extra patterns end up on the site the next year, Ryan just doesn't broadcast their releases. There's no real need to upgrade just for the patterns unless you must have all there is, right now, or you'll die :P

While I see that keeping them listed but secret may drive a few to get the Monster Harvest membership, showing them in full and requiring a higher grade membership takes away from the original purpose as far as I see it. Keeping them locked up a bit does feel like a 'thank you' for the people who have gone all in.

There are so many ways for Ryan to milk more money from this site. That he doesn't is one of the nice things about ZP. It may also be one of the factors of the site's success.
By Kayo
i dont know last year (my first ZP year) everyone was talking commenting on the new VIP patterns and i'm one of those people that has to know so this year i'm in on the secret. but seeing PAST vip patterns had i seen some of them first listed as Previous VIP in the gallarys i may have been able to find an extra ten bucks somewhere
monstermash wrote: I know if I didn't have the MH membership and people kept mentioning the patterns I'd be dying to upgrade. Where as if I saw the patterns I might not neccessarily want to carve that particular one which might put me off upgrading.
But shouldn't it be your discretion, as to whether or not you want to upgrade? Not hand over money and then find out - wow, I have no interest in any of these patterns.

And maybe there's sombody with kids, who have a particular favorite character or movie, and it ends up being a VIP - maybe that person would gladly upgrade, so that they could carve those patterns.

Maybe there could be a pool of patterns, from which you can choose 10. Then the people that like horror, could get horror. The people that like cartoons, could get cartoons, etc., etc.. that would almost guarantee that far more people purchase the MH package. Or maybe there could be polls, for MH members, to vote on the next VIP pattern.

Suppose you hate sports. Your cable provider offers you a package; for an extra $20 per year, they will give you 10 HD cable channels, and they'll give that $20 to the families of those kids that Sally Struthers ate, back in the 80s. You agree, only to find out that you now have ESPN 1-10. Even though ESPN 8 "The Ocho", makes it worthwhile, you think maybe you wouldn't have been so quick to sign up if you knew what those channels were, ahead of time.

-Fred
There's no way the math works out. $10 for access to everything plus what will be released, about 300 patterns. If you want to further support the site, give a bit to charity and maybe find a few more patterns it's $20. If the money is your concern, then stay with the regular membership. It's well worth it.

If you are concerned about getting your extra $10 worth, it doesn't work out. Just wait until next year. Like I said, the general audience patterns and more popular patterns will appear again next year. There's maybe a handful that have never made it to the site in full.

I agree with Hottie that it's not really that important to hide them, at least not at this point, but Ryan has asked us not to, and that's cool with me.

Big picture, not a big deal in my opinion. I know people go crazy with how much they love the new VIP when it's released but we dote on everything in these forums. There's a lot of love for all and ... it's nice and very encouraging.

If there's some pattern you really want, make your own. It's not that hard to make a pattern. There is some skill involved in making a great pattern, though.
mesmark wrote:I could be wrong but when ZP went from free to the donation system there weren't any extra patterns for a few years. Then one year Ryan added a few extra patterns for Monster Harvest members only. The idea then was those patterns were a 'thank you' gift of sorts for people who had donated the full amount.

I get the Monster Harvest membership because I personally get well more than my $20 worth with this site. For me, I have always felt like those 'VIP' patterns are more of a 'thank you' from Ryan for the support, as opposed to a lure. Many of the extra patterns end up on the site the next year, Ryan just doesn't broadcast their releases. There's no real need to upgrade just for the patterns unless you must have all there is, right now, or you'll die :P

While I see that keeping them listed but secret may drive a few to get the Monster Harvest membership, showing them in full and requiring a higher grade membership takes away from the original purpose as far as I see it. Keeping them locked up a bit does feel like a 'thank you' for the people who have gone all in.

There are so many ways for Ryan to milk more money from this site. That he doesn't is one of the nice things about ZP. It may also be one of the factors of the site's success.
You've summed I up perfectly Mark. I don't understand why this is becoming an issue at all
nosferatu wrote:
You've summed I up perfectly Mark. I don't understand why this is becoming an issue at all
Thanks NOS :D

I am getting a bit fed up of people repeatedly questioning/moaning about how site owners run their sites. ITS THEIR SITE THEY CAN RUN IT HOW THEY WANT!!! This applies to Brad, Stoney, Noel, Ryan, Jason Lisa etc etc etc etc etc. They all have their own way and I, for one, like the differences. :D

I enloy the "secretiveness* of the VIP patterns - its a bit of fun :D Its not about feeling superior or richer or any of those other nasty things.

When it comes down to it, when we sign up for ANY of the site, it is made clear to us what the options are. The choice is then ours.
Please please please please please stop bringing the good feeling on the boards down, It has happened on others for various reasons and I hate that it is starting here too. These boards are about having fun and sharing ( and moaning about the lack of anything halloweeny in th UK :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

Guess I am in for an ear bashing now :(

Decided to edit this after re- reading Stone's original post where he refers to posting of our carves of VIP patterns - sorry Stoney, I kind of reacted to this in light of a previous thread. All I can say is the part of the fun is the risk and if people can see what is released then there isn't much risk. I like Zombombie's way of putting it - Trick or Treat :D
Last edited by matspud on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I agree with you matspud!

I don't understand why this year the VIP section is an issue AT ALL. Ryan has a VIP section and if you want in, you pay extra. If you don't want them then don't pay it. I don't see how this is causing any kind of issue. They're secret yes, why are they secret? Because Ryan says so. And anyway, it's like Halloween in action isn't it?! You have a secret option available to you and if you CHOOSE to pay for it then you can end up with some real treats, then again you might not get many patterns that appeal, so you've been tricked!

I personally love the variety in the MH Membership and will continue to get it each year. I think it's well worth the extra money to have a little surprise pattern every few days on the lead up to Halloween - not to mention the fact that we're helping a charity. Keeping them secret isn't a case of elitism or "you" and "us", it's simply another Halloween tradition that we like to hold onto. We post pics of our VIP carvings around Halloween anyway which gives you time to sign up and grab the patterns you like the most. And you can still sign up to be a MH member after Halloween and you've seen most of the patterns meaning you can print them all off and have them for next Halloween.
matspud wrote:
nosferatu wrote:
Thanks NOS :D

I am getting a bit fed up of people repeatedly questioning/moaning about how site owners run their sites. ITS THEIR SITE THEY CAN RUN IT HOW THEY WANT!!! This applies to Brad, Stoney, Noel, Ryan, Jason Lisa etc etc etc etc etc. They all have their own way and I, for one, like the differences. :D

I enloy the "secretiveness* of the VIP patterns - its a bit of fun :D Its not about feeling superior or richer or any of those other nasty things.

When it comes down to it, when we sign up for ANY of the site, it is made clear to us what the options are. The choice is then ours.
Please please please please please stop bringing the good feeling on the boards down, It has happened on others for various reasons and I hate that it is starting here too. These boards are about having fun and sharing ( and moaning about the lack of anything halloweeny in th UK :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

Guess I am in for an ear bashing now :(
Now you've summed it up perfectly as well Matspud.

It's all about fun and enjoying our hobby. It's not our site, sure we can comment on it but we are not shareholders. we have no stake. We havent spent a decade building up the site but the forum allows us to exchange ideas, show off our carves and talk with like minded people around the world. I've always found it to be encouraging, informative and it has genuinely sparked my own creativity. Year on year, the forum has shown how superbly people carve, display and photograph their carves.

As forum users, we have a collective responsibility to maintain this positivity. This topic is now on its second thread and its my last comment on it. I refuse to become embroiled in something that is effectively a non issue.