Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
Hey guys,

I've been using the foam pumpkins from Michael's, but they only seem to have the 13" "tall" pumpkins. While those are perfect for characters, I was wondering what people use for jack o'lanterns (a.k.a. grinning jacks). Jacks need a more rounded design (wider than they are tall).

I know Funkins have a lot of styles to choose from, but they aren't available locally, can be pretty expensive, especially to ship, and I've heard that their foam density can be inconsistent.

I could try using one of the tall gemmys, on it's side, but I know I've seen people using round pumpkins, so I was wondering what they've been using.

Thanks,
Fred
I been using the Michael's 9 inch ones for my Grinnig Jacks, but not all Michael's have the same selection as the other. I could not find the candy corn craft pumpkins and they did not have many White or black ones either.
The Michael's by me, has the occassional black or white, but they're like 1/3 the size of the pumpkins I've been carving. I've never seen the candycorn shaped ones, either - and I've been looking since they first put them out, in September.

Like I said, the tall ones are perfect for characters, but I'd like some variations, as well.

-Fred
That's a great question. And I agree, jack o' lantern faces look better on rounder pumpkins. As pagemaster says, Michaels has a smaller size that is more round. But it would be nice to see that shape on large size foamkins as well. Other than Funkins, I don't know where to look for that.
shaft28 wrote:Funkins are it, I looked high and low...an funkins aren't cheap.
You can say that again, but it is almost worth it if you want your carves to last all year round.
That's a shame - guess I'll just use the Gemmy's, on their side. I'm not paying the shipping fees, for a funkin.

Pagemaster - are you saying that the Gemmy pumpkins won't last? I hope they do - all my carves are on Gemmys :o

-Fred
Yeah the shipping is ridiculous. I looked into it as the only store that carries them nearby has 3 choices, tiny, regular size and 1 big one. Jo-Ann Fabrics, if you have one nearby it is the only place I know of. Of course there is a part of me that dies inside every time I step inside a Jo-Ann Fabrics. Something about being a man in a grandma store...left over childhood issues :D