Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
Their are two main types of foam pumpkins I've worked with.

Gemmy pumpkins cost between around $13 - $22 (less during frequent sales and with coupons) and are typically sold by Michaels craft stores. Because the foam on these pumpkins is soft and thin, they're pretty easy to cut. You can get clean lines with a straight blade like an X-Acto knife, although that will require a good amount of hand pressure. My favorite tool to use is the heated blade called the Versa-Tool. You can read more about it in this post. You can also use a saw-tooth blade like the Zombie Pumpkins! Pro Pumpkin Carving Tool or store bought carving saws, although the cut edges won't be as smooth as using a straight blade.

Fun-Kins range in price between around $18 - $45. They are available for purchase online at Fun-kins.com or at stores like Jo-Ann Fabric & Crafts / Jo-Ann Etc. and Hobby Lobby. They're have a slightly thicker shell and are made of a harder foam. To carve these I'd probably use the Zombie Pumpkins! Pro Pumpkin Carving Tool or the Pumpkin Masters Artificial Pumpkin Carving Kit. To cut through this type of foam it helps to have a strong saw blade with a point and fine teeth.

A Michaels Gemmy with a Versa-Tool blade is my personal go-to choice. I don't carve a ton of foam pumpkins though, so others are welcome to add their input. To do shaded designs, many folks use a Dremel tool. But that's not required for the cut-out style of pumpkin patterns offered here on Zombie Pumpkins!
Kayo wrote:oh good to know I'm going to carve my first foamies this year. better order that ZP tool soon otherwise ill get desperate and attack the things with steak knives :lol:
:lol: I might have to order the ZP! Carving Tool and test out how much I like it.
Kayo wrote:oh good to know I'm going to carve my first foamies this year. better order that ZP tool soon otherwise ill get desperate and attack the things with steak knives :lol:

If you are going foam you should look into the versa tool like Ryan said earlier. I fine it gives the cleanest lines. Not that you can't use a simple steak knife but its much harder. My first foam carve was with a steak knife and I ended up going over the lines again with the versa a few years later. Everyone has there own way to do it and it might take some trial and error to figure out your favorite method. Make sure you post pictures after you slice up your first foamie :)
It is funny that you say that Kayo. I carved my very first foamy with a steak knife. It was just a simple pumpkin face though, so I guess it would not be too hard.
I hope my recommendations don't come off as shameless plugs. ;) I just speak from my personal experience, and I'm letting you know what I use myself.
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:
I hope my recommendations don't come off as shameless plugs. ;) I just speak from my personal experience, and I'm letting you know what I use myself.
its all good I'm proud to support and be a zombie pumpkin minion! 8) I've been meaning to order a set and i'd prefer a tool I'm comfortable with supporting a small business than one I'm half sure of where i end up cutting and searing my own flesh by accident (not vary coordinated over here) :?. use what the master uses its clearly working but i understand that with all tools its a mater of preference. :wink:
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:To do shaded designs, many folks use a Dremel tool. But that's not required for the cut-out style of pumpkin patterns offered here on Zombie Pumpkins!
I also use my Dremel for all Cut-Out Designs too,
I've used Saws, X-acto knifes, Hot Knife, and nothing compares, to using the dremel with flex shaft. and a 1/32" drill Bit, For Cut-Outs.

Not saying everyone needs a dremel to carve a pumpkin,

But am saying it's used for all patterns not just shading.
And 80% of my shaded patterns (are 3 tone/color) and one of the colors gets cut out completely.
St0ney wrote:I also use my Dremel for all Cut-Out Designs too,
I've used Saws, X-acto knifes, Hot Knife, and nothing compares
Do you have any close up detail shots of the cut edges done on a Gemmy pumpkin with a Dremel, by any chance? I've had people tell me that it leaves a rough edge, compared to that of a x-acto type blade (heated or otherwise).

Here are a couple examples of straight lines and crisp edges that I did with the Versa-tool heat blade.