Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By amandap80
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:
Euri wrote:Is the knife end deep enough to go through the thick seams on a Michael's pumpkin or the thicker wall of a Funkins?
In my experience, the Versa tool blade was long enough to go through the thick bands of foam in the Michael's pumpkins... the 2011 version of their foamy, that is. I carved one recently, and while I definitely felt the resistance of thicker foam in those particular spots, I was still able to cut through.

Not so sure about Funkins though, Those can be even thicker, and the foam is more brittle. I don't even know if you can use a Versa tool with those. Anyone ever try?
I carved Worm Food in a funkin with a hot knife. It definitely does not carve as nice. The paint scorches on the funkins. I still carve my funkins with a saw now. Has anyone had trouble with the blade pulling out of the Versatool no matter how much you tighten it? I think I have wore out the collar on mine :(
By Euri
Hmm, Def worm food for thought. :wink:

Seriously, tho, I'm interested to hear that. I have several funkins that I keep around for decoration. I've only ever carved one: The Revenge face for our Headless Horseman. But the foam was very thick, the paint peeled at the cuts, and once cut a little bang or bump and pieces would easily break off. If I get a Versa-tool I'll keep it for the Michael's kins.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
amandap80 wrote:Has anyone had trouble with the blade pulling out of the Versatool no matter how much you tighten it? I think I have wore out the collar on mine :(
Yeah, it tends to always come unscrewed for me. I suppose it's meant just for straight cutting, and they don't realize we might be turning and twisting our way through foam with it? I keep a pair of pliers next to me, and re-tighten it every so often (because obviously you can't touch the hot blade with your hands once its hot).
By amandap80
ZombiePumpkins said:
Yeah, it tends to always come unscrewed for me. I suppose it's meant just for straight cutting, and they don't realize we might be turning and twisting our way through foam with it? I keep a pair of pliers next to me, and re-tighten it every so often (because obviously you can't touch the hot blade with your hands once its hot).
I found replacement knife tips without the collar. I am going to order these to see if they work better.
http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Blades-Pk ... =8-2-fkmr2
By sloaner
Doubt it will help with the unscrewing. I think ryan is correct, when we follow a curvy pattern it slowly unscrews the tip. I also keep pliers with me in case of this. You could maybe try some loc tite on the threads, I'm not sure if it would cause any problems since its so hot though.
By amandap80
If it was just the unscrewing problem, it would be ok. My HOT blade actually pulls out of the sheath and falls in my lap! The only advantage I saw in these is that the exacto blade is not in 2 pieces, just the one piece. I will still have to screw these in, but at least I won't have burns on my crotch from the hot exacto blade.
By Crystal
amandap80 wrote:
ZombiePumpkins said:
I found replacement knife tips without the collar. I am going to order these to see if they work better.
http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Blades-Pk ... =8-2-fkmr2
The crappy knife I bought had this type of blade.. I find it does unscrew and I have to keep pliers around to tighten. I also had a very difficult time with the Target pumpkins. I don't know for sure if the foam is denser or what, but I had a really hard time carving Davy Jones on that sucker. The foam did seem more dense to me and the ribs were hell to get through esp on the small bits on the face.
By Donna Destruction
I have carved 20+ foam Michaels pumpkins with the VersaTool and can't think of any other way to do them. I find it cuts through them so easily. It is a little tricky to make certain cuts, but it just takes a little practice. The curves are tricky but like I said, it just takes some practice. Here are some of the Michaels pumpkins I carved last year, all using the VersaTool:

By BigScience
Starparty wrote:
Actually, the last foam pumpkin I carved with the Versa tool, I realized I did almost all of it by holding the tool in a fist grip, with the blade pointed down (think - ice pick stabbing pose). While it doesn't seem like you'd get the most accurate control that way, it gave me a more stable grip and the strength to push through the foam. I knocked out an Edgar Allen Poe carving in about 30 mins total.
I've been doing the same thing! I also found that it helps to hold the knife still and use my left hand to rotate the pumpkin around the curves.

Agreed...
By amandap80
By the way, i forgot to update that those tips I purchased DID stay in the versa tool much better. I still have to tighten with the pliers every now and then, but the single piece tip stays intact. No crotch burns!
By St0ney
Well I actually REMOVED this tool from my online tool store.

The Manufacturer (the CEO of the company that makes these foam Pumpkins). has told me that using a Hot Knife/Versa Tool, is extremely Dangerous to your health.
When the heated Knife cuts through the foam, it creates a gas/fume that's equivalent to Cyanide Gas Poisoning.

I know it works Well on cutting out shapes, But as stated, these pumpkins are not made to be carved with this tool.

And I Nor my company will promote the use of it, for there are Health Issues / Liabilities involved.

I do However recommend a Dremel (and you Should wear a Respirator) So your not breathing in the Pumpkin Dust.
And Also Safety Glasses So your eyes are also protected.

Carving Cut-Though Patterns - there will be Minimal Pumpkin Dust.
Shading, is where most of the Dust comes into play.

You can also use hand saws (like Pumpkin Masters, Zombie pumpkins Pro saw, or X-acto's Key-hole Saw blades or X-acto Razor Blades.

Sorry For the BAD NEWS - But Better you Know ! , And are Informed !
By Raven
St0ney wrote: The Manufacturer (the CEO of the company that makes these foam Pumpkins). has told me that using a Hot Knife/Versa Tool, is extremely Dangerous to your health.
When the heated Knife cuts through the foam, it creates a gas/fume that's equivalent to Cyanide Gas Poisoning.

:shock: Seriously? They really need to pass this information along to the craft stores then. Michaels always stocks the Versa Tools right there on the display with the foam pumpkins each year.
St0ney wrote:The Manufacturer (the CEO of the company that makes these foam Pumpkins). has told me that using a Hot Knife/Versa Tool, is extremely Dangerous to your health.

I know it works Well on cutting out shapes, But as stated, these pumpkins are not made to be carved with this tool.
Wow. I read a review earlier this year on Amazon regarding the tool causing major headaches. Is there any update to this? I just bought a Versa Tool last week.