Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By DoomCookie
I finally tried using my hot knife on the Scooby Doo pattern. I must say I did not like it. I wasn't comfortable holding it and over all it just felt awkward. :shock: But I kept trying... when it came time to remove my pieces I dont think I let the knife go in deep enough, as it was still stuck in spots. Because of this I broke a piece. :cry: I haven't broken a pumpkin in YEARS so this was the last straw for me.

But one thing I think I will use the hot knife for is after I am all done it works great to go in and clean up the pumpkin crumbs that saw leaves behind. I also think i will be using it to burn my name into my ZP saw ;)
By keifferone
Sorry you had a bad experience with it. I do wish it was thinner but over all I can't see not using it. You can also use it to cut stencils. :D
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I think the sharpness of the blade, and the fact that it's heated, both help it go through foam easier than just about anything else.

However, I can see where there could be issues. It's not the most ergonomic thing to hold. You have to keep your hand pretty high on the handle, to keep it far from the hot metal. So you don't get the accuracy you might with a pencil-grip position.

Actually, the last foam pumpkin I carved with the Versa tool, I realized I did almost all of it by holding the tool in a fist grip, with the blade pointed down (think - ice pick stabbing pose). While it doesn't seem like you'd get the most accurate control that way, it gave me a more stable grip and the strength to push through the foam. I knocked out an Edgar Allen Poe carving in about 30 mins total.

Making sure you cut deep enough can be another issue. Something you can get a feel for when you'd done it a few times I suppose.

But if the Versa tool isn't for you, that's cool. Everyone has tools that are more comfortable for them. A carving saw with fine teeth (such as the ZP Pro Pumpkin Carving Tool... shameless, sorry) can still do a nice job of cutting through foam. And if the edges are too rough afterwards, you can clean it up with the heat knife. Sounds like a plan.
By Euri
I'm considering getting a versa tool. I think I'd use it for plenty of things outside of pumpkin carving.

I understand the non ergonomical handling of the tool but my question is about blade depth. Is the knife end deep enough to go through the thick seams on a Michael's pumpkin or the thicker wall of a Funkins? I have that paint stripper wheel on an extension rod to thin down the seam lines but if i don't have to do that to use this I'd be very happy.
By Starparty
Actually, the last foam pumpkin I carved with the Versa tool, I realized I did almost all of it by holding the tool in a fist grip, with the blade pointed down (think - ice pick stabbing pose). While it doesn't seem like you'd get the most accurate control that way, it gave me a more stable grip and the strength to push through the foam. I knocked out an Edgar Allen Poe carving in about 30 mins total.
I've been doing the same thing! I also found that it helps to hold the knife still and use my left hand to rotate the pumpkin around the curves.
By Hottie McNaughty
I don't particularly care for the versa tool....as far as I'm concerned nothing is as good as carving a real 'kin. That said, it's a good thing to use to fill in the gaps when the real ones won't do.
By snow2alike
The first time I used the hot knife, I didn't like it alot either. But when I picked up the next kin and pattern to do, I kept thinking that this whole pattern could be done with the hot knife -- so I tried again. Finished that one in way less time it would have taken me to saw it. I still find it very relaxing to carve with only my saw. But there are perfect times for a hot knife. And I too use the fist grip/ice pick hold. I have found that if you use a glove --- it keeps the heat away from your hand a bit.
By DoomCookie
snow2alike I have to agree, I think that relaxing with my pumpkin in my lap while I carve away is something I really enjoy. With the hot knife I just felt tense and stressed, not the feeling I was going for lol

Euri I think you may be on to something on the seams of the foam pumpkins. Maybe those are the areas that gave me trouble?
By MIKECOZ8
I am not sure that I will get mine out of the box ---- I have picked it up but have not plugged it in yet --- I too, do not like the feel and you can see from the pic below that my hands/fingers are super close to the saw -- I can see me ending up with multiple burns.

Plus I can not see the blades working on a pattern like Count Chocula

By Zombie Pumpkins!
Euri wrote:Is the knife end deep enough to go through the thick seams on a Michael's pumpkin or the thicker wall of a Funkins?
In my experience, the Versa tool blade was long enough to go through the thick bands of foam in the Michael's pumpkins... the 2011 version of their foamy, that is. I carved one recently, and while I definitely felt the resistance of thicker foam in those particular spots, I was still able to cut through.

Not so sure about Funkins though, Those can be even thicker, and the foam is more brittle. I don't even know if you can use a Versa tool with those. Anyone ever try?
By Euri
Hmmmm. Thanks for the input Ryan. It's good to know that kind of stuff before jumping out to buy one.

Anyone ever try a versa tool on a funkin? I'm thinking they're too thick. :?
By Crystal
I Cheaped out and bought a hot generic hot knife. It was like 8 bucks. I hated it at first but got the hang of it. I wish I could hold closer to the bottom.

I did my Pin Head pattern with it and that was the second pattern I had done with it. I really feel it's easier. I am lazy and HATE to do the hole poking so a cheap o glue stick (Thanks Doom Cookie) holds the pattern down and I cut right through pattern and all.

Tho I did have a few problems with some sticking. I found that if I use my super awesome, zombie pumkin saw, to poke the cut pattern down it really helps. I put the back of the saw along the edge of the pattern and push in a bit. If it don't start to go right away I re-cut that area.

I also used the hot knife to cut out a Boba Fet patten on a plastic sheet to make a T shirt for my son.. Really, I felt super guilty that it was not a Zombie pumpkin pattern.. :oops: So Ill post a picture of my pin head.. Its not perfect and don't even get me started on those damn pins...But Ive wanted to do this one for years and was too afraid of it. So I tried it.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Crystal, that looks great! I know it was a bit of a headache to get used to the tool and cut out all those pins, but I hope the outcome is worth it. That's an impressive carving, to be proud of.
By DoomCookie
That pin head looks so awesome Sis, (yep Crystal and I are sisters lol) and your right we have been oooing and aaaahing over it for sometime. I'm glad you finally did it.
By sloaner
I can't believe anyone wouldn't like the versa tool. The lines look so much better when you are done. As for the pieces no popping out, you just need to make some extra cuts. When I try pushing out the pieces if it isn't coming out with a medium amount of pressure I back off and cut 1 big piece into 2 or 3 pieces. Also popping out the right pieces in the right order can help as you wont be putting a lot of pressure on a delicate part of the pattern. I do agree with you about it being uncomfortable to hold, My hand tends to cramp up if I do a hard pattern or crave 2 pumpkins in 1 night.