Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By nico_reed
Hey everyone! I'm having a hard time finding good lighting for my foam pumpkins. I find that after about an hour (if I'm lucky to get even that) the lights start to die out. If I turn them off they'll be ok for another hour the next night. Does anyone know of any brands that have staying power? I'm using the "celebrate it" brand of flickering pumpkin light found at Michael's crafts stores. Thanks!!!
By Crystal
I too had that same frustration. So I took the light strings out of these old blow mold candy canes we had. there were three night light style lights on each line. I don't really expect anyone else to have those, but you could try Christmas lights. Or those Christmas village lights maybe..
For right now I used these LED paper lanterns they fold flat and I set the pumpkin over the paper lantern that was just so I could take pics of my new carvings. I picked up my paper lanterns at dollar tree. Be sure to double check that its the LED one tho. They run on AAA batteries and I've gotten a quite a few hours out of mine.
By keifferone
I use the plug in. The one's that you can pick up for the Christmas village's. The only bad thing is that they don't work if you are making a center piece pumpkin. I wish I could post a pic for you.
By Starparty
I've actually gone non-Halloween lights after having similar issues.

I have these lights from Harbor Freight that seem to work well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-por ... 67227.html

They are a brilliant white with a slight blue cast. With fresh batteries they last about 4 hours at max brightness before it begins to dim a bit.

Also Meijer has a set of 3 LED puck lights with 3 LEDs each that are good for smaller/medium pumpkins.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
27 LEDs on that Portable Worklight/Flashlight. Seems like it must be plenty bright! We've all used "pumpkin lights" for so long, I sometimes forget that they're just LEDs and there are other types and shapes that do the same job.
By DoomCookie
I am off to Michael's today to see if I can find the village lights for my pumpkins. I am so sad that they are still sitting in the closet. :( I have also used about 4 green glow sticks (dolla tree! woot woot!) for my Alien pumpkin I did last year. It looked so great and it lasted all night!
By keifferone
DoomCookie wrote:I am off to Michael's today to see if I can find the village lights for my pumpkins. I am so sad that they are still sitting in the closet. :( I have also used about 4 green glow sticks (dolla tree! woot woot!) for my Alien pumpkin I did last year. It looked so great and it lasted all night!
They have two types, there brand and the lenox one's. Micheal's brand is like 4 buck and the lenox are triple that. They are both good.
By Pumpken
I usually use a string of Christmas lights for my display. However, I have bought the round LED lights from Dollar Tree. and they work if you don't have a plug. About 1/4 if them don't work when I put in the batteries, but they will take them back. They are only $1.

Here is my Harry Potter display with these lights.

By DoomCookie
Wow that is a fantastic display! I can't wait to show my daughter (shes my harry potter fanatic.) On the string of village lights is it just one light per cord? Im hoping for about 5-6 on there or that's going to take one heck of an outlet. :shock: I will have to check the Dollar Tree for the LED lights. Thank you for the tip!
By Crystal
ooh that's a awesome Harry Potter display.