Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By rumple76
I just started using the Versa Tool on Michaels pumpkins and so far it has been great. The only problem that I have been having is cutting really short lines that are smaller than the width of the blade. If I just let the cut go past the ends of the line will it not be noticeable? Or is there a thinner blade that can be used? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Hey there rumple76 . Great question. I know what you mean.... the blade on the Versa tool is a triangular shape. So the deeper you push it in, the longer the cut line will be.

A more ideal shape would be blade that looks something like this:

Not sure if my mockup would be strong enough, but something at least close to this would be better. I haven't see any blades like this anywhere. I just searched the Walnut Hallow website and couldn't come up with anything either. Maybe we should get in touch with them to recommend this product addition?

If you have any metal cutting/grinding tools, you could probably modify the blades yourself. But an easily available commercial part would be nice.

In any case, you can still cut just about any pattern with the regular triangular blade. My main advice would be to only push the blade in as far as necessary to cut through to the inside. Take note of the of the foam thickness, and try to go that deep with your blade.

In areas where the pattern detail is even tighter than the blade width allows, you really have no choice but to cut a line that goes a bit longer than what's in the design. These "over-cuts" won't really show up, since the foam (on Gemmy / Michaels pumpkins) is a bit spongy, so it tends to close back up, hiding cut lines.

If you do cut beyond the line of the design, just be carveful that you're not cutting into a thin connecting piece that is meant to be pumpkin that remains. You don't want to accidentally cut off any pieces.
By Starparty
I've just started using a versa this month, but I found that this helps me:

Just barely trace the edges with the tip of the blade (don't worry about the depth of the foam) to make an outline and make the finished lines in the orange rind.

After the whole section has been cut, trace it again with the versa or Ryan's Pro tool just to work through the pale inner flesh and then tease out the little bits with the blade.

Good luck!!
By rumple76
Hello Zombie Pumpkins! Thank you so much for the quick response! I'm glad you understood my question, it was hard for me to describe without some sort of picture and the ones you posted were great. That would be fantastic if they had a very thin blade like the one you suggested in the second picture. I just started carving the foam pumpkins after just carving real ones for a few years and it killed me when the real ones would start to rot after all of the time and effort I would put into them.

I carved my first foam pumpkin last year with a small saw-type tool that comes with most real pumpkin carving kits. It came out good but of course the lines were no where near as smooth as they are with the Versa Tool. I was thinking about using the saw tool for some parts of a carving and the Versa Tool for the majority of it, but I think it will look better if I just let the cut go past the line a little bit with the Versa Tool. I bought two foamies from Michaels today after practicing some cuts on some scraps from last year's foam pumpkin. I'll post some pics after I carve them.

Thanks again for your help, and if I am able to find any thin blades for the Versa Tool I'll be sure to let everyone know here!
Last edited by rumple76 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rumple76
Starparty, I just saw your response as well. That seems like a great method also! For my first two carvings I will probably not do anything too intricate or detailed so I can get a feel for the Versa Tool. But after that I'm definately going to feel more comfortable attempting some more intricate carvings.

Thanks again to both of you for your help!
By Crystal
I agree the blade needs to be so much smaller. I attempted the pin head pattern and was so happy till I got to the pins. :cry: